All-Star All-levels Winners Flying On The Left?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
I'm sorry, but I can't stomach even seeing a team that still flies on the left leg, let alone seeing them win a competition as big as all-levels. Can we please outlaw it or something? I literally can't take it lol...

just gimme some shimmies if you cringe as much as I do when you see this out on the floor- or even worse- FLYING LEFT AND TWISTING LEFT:eek:

disclaimer: i need sleep, sorry if i offend anyone

I thought the left leg was the "traditional leg" and the right leg is where the pet peeves come into play -I'm confused... do you mean stand on the left and pull on the right??

I thought the left leg was the "traditional leg" and the right leg is where the pet peeves come into play -I'm confused... do you mean stand on the left and pull on the right??

flying ON the left is not the common way...

8 years ago when my daughter started allstars her team was jr prep and for some reason flew on the left...she did this for 3 years I believe, then the gym owner wanted everyone on their right so all teams were the same....she struggled at first but she can fly both legs which comes in handy in pyramids.

Jersey Shore allstars used to fly on their left leg and twist to the left. It was the most awkward thing of life. They would drop their leg a little then twist. And their Advanced team did double downs like this. It just boggles my mind.

Who cares? If they hit the difficult stunting and had an appealing routine they deserve it. Also, if you fly opposite it makes sense that you'd full opposite, imagine trying to twist normal from the opposite leg! I still don't know how 5 alarm managed it!

twisting left is normal... that's what i was getting at lol

Who cares? If they hit the difficult stunting and had an appealing routine they deserve it. Also, if you fly opposite it makes sense that you'd full opposite, imagine trying to twist normal from the opposite leg! I still don't know how 5 alarm managed it!
I agree, it might be different than the norm but who cares? They won, let them enjoy it.

Excuse me ignorance...I honestly just have no idea what the answer is.

Why must a flyer only fly on the right leg? Is it for visual continuity? Because most people are right-handed?

FYI: My daughter flies on her right. So, I'm not looking for a debate. I'm just curious.

Excuse me ignorance...I honestly just have no idea what the answer is.

Why must a flyer only fly on the right leg? Is it for visual continuity? Because most people are right-handed?

FYI: My daughter flies on her right. So, I'm not looking for a debate. I'm just curious.
My understanding is that it used to be VERY popular to fly on the left leg until a lot of "coed" cheerleaders started teaching stunting bc basing coed stunts is MUCH easier right vs left. As the coed style became more popular the transition became easier. Now I'm talking many many many yrs ago. Some people still prefer it which is completely up to them, sometimes kids are more flexible one leg vs the other or they just might like it, idk why people still do it, but it is what it is. There are probably many other reasons why and I might wrong but this is my understanding.

Its weird to see but I guess there isnt really anything wrong with it. If they are hitting some solid double downs and fierce body positions on the opposite side, I say go for it. Ill just tell my kids who ask why they are stunting backwards that the coach is dyslexic. ;) (and, because everyone is a little sensitive lately, I mean no disrespect to all thos dyslexics out there. Just look at Muhammad Ali, Bruce Jenner, Greg Louganis, and Nolan Ryan!)

Most bases are right handed, so coed stunting is typically easier while the flyer stands on her right leg. It is also much easier if there is a single standard so that everyone is he same. Those things blended together to create a sort of standard. There is nothing necessarily wrong with flying opposite, but you will almost certainly have to switch if/when you get to college.

Back