All My Questions About Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 15, 2015
Hi everyone i'm 15 and i am hoping to join a new squad in August (i'm waiting to be on a senior team). My problems are 1) I am too heavy to be a flier but too weak to be a base so does anyone know and exercises to strengthen my arms and loose weight so i can fly (also my core bc you obviously need that to fly).

2) Most important muscles to get toned for flying?

3) Having next to no tumbling skills would i be able to get to level 4 standard by then if i did tumble classes every week?

Thank you in advance.
Lily :)

Hi everyone i'm 15 and i am hoping to join a new squad in August (i'm waiting to be on a senior team). My problems are 1) I am too heavy to be a flier but too weak to be a base so does anyone know and exercises to strengthen my arms and loose weight so i can fly (also my core bc you obviously need that to fly).

3) Having next to no tumbling skills would i be able to get to level 4 standard by then if i did tumble classes every week?

Thank you in advance.
Before I answer, do you want the harsh truth?

Before I answer, do you want the harsh truth?

I think most people don't want the truth - but we tell them anyway, don't we? [emoji23]

So to answer in general:
You (OP) should do a lot of conditioning to strenghten your whole body. Stretch a lot, work on jumps, body positions, leg strenght, go to tumbling classes starting with the basics (proper technique on handstands, cartwheels, roundoffs, kickover), and be prepared that at tryouts coaches will place you at the team and position they think you will be the best puzzle piece for a sucessfull team.

If you love cheer, you will learn to work hard to be a great, wellrounded athlete.

Only 1 of 4 (or 1 of 3 in twomens) cheerleaders can fly, so be prepared that coaches will place girls in this spot, that my have more experience than you. Flying level 4 is difficult, and depending on what program your are trying out for, there may be girls your age that come time to be a senior have years of experience and practice as flyers under their belts.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I completely understand where you're coming from and although I can't help much I can help a bit. About the tumbling situation, at my old gym I was on a level 3 team and you had to at least have a round-off back-handspring tuck or more so I'm not sure if you could be level 4. If you continued working really hard and taking classes you might be able to do it. Also by working on tumbling, that should tone you a bit but besides that I would run (to build up your stamina for the routines and to get fit) and find some workouts that you feel will benefit you (I personally recommend getting on Pinterest). Even if you don't see much of a difference at first, keep at it and you'll see a change soon enough! Good luck and I hope this helped!

What are your current skills? What tumbling can you currently do, how much cheer experience do you currently have, and have you based/flown before?? Those will help me answer your questions. Also, so you currently work out/exercise, and if yes, what do you do?

Thank you in advance.
Hi! First off, I really don't think you should lose weight! Maybe do some core exercises and eat healthy but don't try to lose weight to fly! And I know some people who have said the weight of the flyer is a minor thing the coaches take into consideration! :) For basing, do some push-ups and leg work outs! Both will help because when basing, you use your quads and arm muscles a lot...as most people know.
For question #3. Most gyms require you to have at least a back handspring for a level 2 team. So if you are trying to make a level 4 team with little to know tumbling skills, you will have to work very hard! besides tumbling, other things go into choosing a team even though tumbling is a major factor! The coaches look at sportsmanship, stunting skills, dance, and so on. :) You'll do fine though! :)

I can't offer a ton of help but I'll write what I can:
I know a couple posts up you said that you wanted to be on a senior level 2 team, not 4. First of all, that's a much more attainable goal! I understand where your high hopes come from, I was in your same position last year. I started out at age 12 with little to no experience, and I aimed for a level 2 team and actually made it. At my gym, you have to have a back handspring to make level 2 at least, and I didn't- the only reason they put me on the team was because of my flexibility and jumps. So in my advice, perfect those. Stretch, stretch stretch, and work on your jumps. Those will be what you have to showcase at tryouts, not your tumbling. I stretch every morning (if I have time) and every night repeatedly. Ab workouts are great for strengthening your core.
Also- if you make a level 1 team, don't feel bad. There's no such thing as a "bad" team just because it's a lower level. You might be limited in stunts but if necessary they can always move you up. Hope it helped! Sorry if it sounded judgey/rude at any point. Good luck! :)

Also forgot to add: I had a back walkover (a crappy one at that!) This will be a huge selling point for a level 2 team and if you can get that you're pretty much golden as long as you have the other skills (cartwheel, roundoff, handstand, etc.) I think someone said this but you can also look to see if there's a 4.2 team- that sounds like it's right up your alley.

Back