High School Allstar To High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2013
I searched and didn't find anything on this. I recently had to quit allstar due to an injury and I can't do elite level tumbling anymore, I'm thinking about doing school cheer next year just to stay in the sport and it wouldn't be as much tunbling for me, what are the differences between the 2 and how much would I have to learn?

I searched and didn't find anything on this. I recently had to quit allstar due to an injury and I can't do elite level tumbling anymore, I'm thinking about doing school cheer next year just to stay in the sport and it wouldn't be as much tunbling for me, what are the differences between the 2 and how much would I have to learn?
1) Gameday skills (there is a video on my channel explaining this, and I'm too lazy to type). This includes having very sharp motions. Some of the info might not be applicable to you if your HS cheer program is not very UCA/traditional.

2) Learn how to tumble on dead mat, basketball court (if necessary), grass (if necessary), and rubberized track (if necessary).

3) Mentally adjust to cheering at games. It takes some stamina.

Each program/school will be different. Some general things that are typically different:
-Sideline : knowing how to work the crowd, get them to cheer WITH you, knowing when to call certain cheers/chants during the game
-A focus on motions and visuals rather than stunt/tumbling difficulty
-Tumbling on a dead mat/basketball court
-A focus on school spirit: being involved in the community, pep rallies, growing the excitement and participation at your school in spirit days/events
-Seeing your team before/during/at school : you don't get to escape your teammates during school. You will see them for practice, in some of your classes, after school when traveling to games, etc. which can be a good and bad thing. Having your team be like sisters is fun, but sisters that spend too much time together can also fight.
-Traveling to away games: #schoolbus

Make sure you do not go in with the "I was an allstar. I can do this stuff in my sleep *hair flip*" attitude. Keep an open mind, as allstar is not better than HS or visa versa.....just different focuses. I would say for you to not focus on what skills you are doing/see others do in HS, but to focus on learning leadership within your school & having unforgettable memories with your teammates. (The life lessons rather than the skills learned)

My daughter went from an AllStar team to her high school football/basketball cheer teams - the above advice is right on! I will also tell you that the transition was a little hard for her at the beginning because the routines are not similar but she now loves being part of the team. She still misses being in an AllStar team but doesn't miss all the practices till 9-10 pm 4x a week :)

Good luck!

Cp always did all star and started HS this past year. One thing she did find is how much tumbling on the dead mat hurt her legs and back, to the point where we asked her coach if she could just tumble at the competitions and not during practices. She only cheered for basketball last year but is looking forward to the football games come the fall.

The transition is usually not as easy as it may seem. Unfortunately many AS think that HS cheer is easy and does not require as much as AS, and this makes the transition much harder. One major contributing factors is tumbling; most AS cheerleaders can tumble their butts off on a spring floor, but many get a mental block and will not even try hard floor, or grass, etc., and it does take quite some time to get back to the same skills on the dead mat. So be mentally prepared......and this is not the case with everyone, I have just seen it happen many times over the years as a coach. Good luck

Back