All-Star Allstar Versus Prep

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 20, 2016
Our gym just finished tryouts and placements came out Tuesday afternoon. They created a new Senior 3 Prep team with about 24 girls from allstar. I want to make sure I understand the difference as to me...prep has always meant half year teams...not full year teams. In fact, I didn't even think it was allowed by usasf to have a full year prep team but maybe I'm wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or shed some light on the differences?

my daughter coaches a junior prep team that is full year.
I'm not an expert but I believe they practice less than a tradiditional allstar team... perhaps 2.5 hours a week?
The routines are only 2 minutes vs 2.30 and baskets are not allowed...at least not in level 2.
At a 2 day comp they onlt compete 1 of the days.
hope this helps

Our gym just finished tryouts and placements came out Tuesday afternoon. They created a new Senior 3 Prep team with about 24 girls from allstar. I want to make sure I understand the difference as to me...prep has always meant half year teams...not full year teams. In fact, I didn't even think it was allowed by usasf to have a full year prep team but maybe I'm wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or shed some light on the differences?

CP's first gym started with nothing but prep teams and they were all full year. Prep is supposed to be less commitment, a fair bit cheaper, and the routine is 2 minutes versus 2.5 minutes. Baskets aren't an option regardless of level/division. It may be the most common for half-year teams depending upon location/gyms in the area, but it's by no means against the rules for a full year team to be prep.

Last edited:

Prep has very few guidelines or rules. There are plenty of full year prep teams. The gist was that it would introduce athletes to All Star with lower cost and time commitments. However, there are many prep programs that practice just as much as traditional All Star. However, just as many programs use Prep for half-year teams that allow kids to do more than one sport.

CP's first gym started with nothing but prep teams and they were all full year. Prep is supposed to be less commitment, a fair bit cheaper, and the routine is 2 minutes versus 2.5 minutes. There is a cap on how much they can practice a week---I honestly don't remember what it was now and baskets aren't an option regardless of level/division. It may be the most common for half-year teams depending upon location/gyms in the area, but it's by no means against the rules for a full year team to be prep.
There is no cap on how much they practice. The guideline is that it is less than traditional All Star teams.

We did prep our first year, and our gym practiced 4 hours a week, but with tumbling built in, as opposed to our all star team that practiced 4 hours plus 1 hour of tumbling. I think most gyms in our area practice 1 time a week, for two hours for prep. The cost was less, and the uniform a little different (less expensive). And the routine differences, but that's all. It is a great way for kids to see if they will like the commitment of all star, and like others have said, great for kids who participate in multiple sports.

CP is starting her third year on tiny prep. Excluding last season, it's the only tiny team they have at her program so her only option. They practice less, attend fewer comps, and as previously stated, have a shorter routine.

It is sometimes used as a beginner or half year option, but is also often used as a less stress, more affordable option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the replies. At least I know it's allowed but is not something I would have signed up for if I had known they were going to make it a prep team. This is our 5th year of doing allstar cheer and we've never done prep. I feel like as parents we should have been made aware that for the first time in 13 years, our gym was going this route with one team when the rest of the teams at the gym remained allstar.

Thanks for all of the replies. At least I know it's allowed but is not something I would have signed up for if I had known they were going to make it a prep team. This is our 5th year of doing allstar cheer and we've never done prep. I feel like as parents we should have been made aware that for the first time in 13 years, our gym was going this route with one team when the rest of the teams at the gym remained allstar.
Why would you not do it? It's a great way for an "almost level x" team to be successful instead of always coming in last because they can't hit the scoresheet as well as others in their division.

Why would you not do it? It's a great way for an "almost level x" team to be successful instead of always coming in last because they can't hit the scoresheet as well as others in their division.
You still have to be at a level appropriate place to compete in any division, prep or otherwise. It is less pricy but at the most I've usually seen l3 senior prep compete against maybe 3 other teams so it's kind of pointless. Also, if I paid for allstar tryouts, with the same fees, etc.. I don't think I'd be happy w/ being placed on my prep. JMO though.

You still have to be at a level appropriate place to compete in any division, prep or otherwise. It is less pricy but at the most I've usually seen l3 senior prep compete against maybe 3 other teams so it's kind of pointless. Also, if I paid for allstar tryouts, with the same fees, etc.. I don't think I'd be happy w/ being placed on my prep. JMO though.
But why? Is lack of competition your issue?

To be honest.. Yes. I live for competing. But that's not the only reason- I think I'd be a little upset if I tried out for allstar and got prep. Like I said, just my opinion.

If it's lack of competition, then you'd also hate to be put on Y4, Y5, or J5 because there's rarely competition at those levels, at least locally.
I'm just trying to figure out why there is a stigma associated with prep levels if they are treated the same as "regular" levels by the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest.. Yes. I live for competing. But that's not the only reason- I think I'd be a little upset if I tried out for allstar and got prep. Like I said, just my opinion.

I'm coaching 2 full season prep teams this season at NCE and they are competing at a majority of the program's competitions and NCA prep nationals along with US finals. Just because a team is prep doesn't mean it has to be vastly different. In my case on my level 2, these kids did not have the elite proficient tumbling in normal Allstar level 2 (such as combo to hand springs, bwo-bhs, etc) or they didn't have good technique, so they were put on prep to rebuild those skills and really push them into proper technique and such. I'm coaching them just as any Allstar coach would. Gyms are really thriving to hit all of the "elite level" sections on scoresheets for obvious reasons and instead of turning kids away, I think this is a great way to keep kids and build for the future success of a program. Especially on that scoresheet.

Back