All-Star An Article About Varsity Brands...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank goodness we have people such as yourself dealing with our kids, we are quite blessed as parents to have so many coaches like you in the business. My background is corporate business, and unfortunately, "nurture and love" won't pay the bills if the person charging you rent, insurance, utilities, etc. doesn't live by the same philosophy. I love your heart though, I wish the world was made up of people like you.

Thank you, it means a lot. I think that there is a way for all of this to work and for everyone to be happy. We just need to work together to figure it all out! Maybe we're wrong and Varsity is giving us the cheapest possible experience and I'd love them for it if this was true! There needs to be more communication I think, that's all. :)

We have very different views of STP. Not that I'm a supporter but, we had a parent that worked for Sheraton who basically stated the common link for STP are those sports/activities such as soccer, baseball, cheer, etc. that rely on city property for competitions and need certain time slots for championships. We can argue this point until the cows come home but, I agree with her this is not all about Varsity. Do they receive spiffs? Probably, just like you and I would if we reserve a block for a wedding, you get a room or two comped for a day or two. I don't have a problem with that if it is going to offset the cost of doing business such as housing judges or staff. So, why do they have to reserve blocks? Eighteen thousand rooms are a lot to come by and people are complaining about being 20 miles away. Can you imagine if they didn't reserve rooms? According to Sheraton mom, hotels are the ones that state the demands of how long and how much, not Varsity. Contrary to belief, Varsity does not control all other businesses.

Conflict of interest can get quite murky when you have things such as uniforms that have to be turned around in a VERY short amount of time for your industry to keep it's clientele happy. If outside industries can't meet your industry deadlines for comps, what is the best solution? You find a way to do it yourself. But, the little guy can't sell product at their venues? This is where I'm going to call people out on the carpet and ask if they have to pay for the square footage and charge a price to these vendors that they often don't make in a day, do you then come in and provide the service with your own merchandise to fulfill that need? Parent, athletes and coaches alike mocked the whole "National Champion" thing and now that we are presented with a few options, they're evil and taking advantage of parents because it costs a lot? No kidding. Practice wear? Don't even get me started on parents wanting more merchandise for their kids. Parents complain and want the uniforms to be more modest, so they go to full tops.....Varsity did that just so they could get more orders. :rolleyes:

I was a customer service exec for years Varsity, I get it. You're the big guy, no one is going to like you now even if you do what they ask you to. Protect your interests, protect your employees, protect yourself from the guy across the pond. People will complain right up until it is taken from them and then it's all, "What happened? I loved them. I guess it was poorly managed."
:splat:

I agree with basically all that you're saying. I'd just like some personal responsibility from parents and gym owners for creating this industry that we now blast. Varsity is an easy target. - "the awful corporate cultures" but hard for us to tell our kids no when they want to be on a team that requires 2 uniforms, 5 sets of practice wear, 10 bows, tanning, and multiple flights across the country so they can say they're national champions (again) or got to be in a movie.

Edited to add - if parents have the money for all that then so be it. Just don't put all the blame on Varsity for pricing families out of cheer.

I was a customer service exec for years Varsity, I get it. You're the big guy, no one is going to like you now even if you do what they ask you to. Protect your interests, protect your employees, protect yourself from the guy across the pond. People will complain right up until it is taken from them and then it's all, "What happened? I loved them. I guess it was poorly managed."

What guy across the pond? Varsity is the only water, fish, air, boat, and "guy" in and around this pond!

Funny, that's what the auto industry said.

The auto industry said this about who? Henry Ford? Billy Durant?

The difference between the auto industry and the cheer industry is that the auto industry started out with a few and is now comprised of many. The cheer industry started out as many and is now comprised of one. Even in the days of Henry Ford, you had options when it came to choosing an automobile.

Thank you, it means a lot. I think that there is a way for all of this to work and for everyone to be happy. We just need to work together to figure it all out! Maybe we're wrong and Varsity is giving us the cheapest possible experience and I'd love them for it if this was true! There needs to be more communication I think, that's all. :)

slightly off topic--Hermon, Maine?! What gym are you at? (I went to Scarborough)

slightly off topic--Hermon, Maine?! What gym are you at? (I went to Scarborough)

only a little off topic ;). The business I work for is named Big 10 Cheer and Dance, but we're the Cheer Magic All-Stars! They've been around for a while but the last few years we've been really lucky to gain a lot of new athletes and add more teams! I'm also extremely fortunate to be a tumbling instructor and coach there. :) it's always nice to meet a fellow Mainer.

Associated Press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The auto industry said this about who? Henry Ford? Billy Durant?

The difference between the auto industry and the cheer industry is that the auto industry started out with a few and is now comprised of many. The cheer industry started out as many and is now comprised of one. Even in the days of Henry Ford, you had options when it came to choosing an automobile.

I applaud Varsity, not for taking business away from the small guy but, for providing what people asked for. WE, the parents, the ones with the kids and the money, took our money from the small guy and gave it to the business, heaven forbid, that was meeting what our kids, gym owners and coaches were wanting. Now they're bad?! Varsity is not untouchable, nor is any leader in the industry once someone else figures out how to do it more cost effective. Not to go all God Bless America but, I would love to see Varsity keep plowing away and keep the dollars and employees coming from this side of the pond.

I've had my share of business classes, I'm no spring chicken. My stance is they should be mass market, simply because it provides opportunity to all, which is where I stand on the matter from a moral standpoint. This isn't simply a business. It's SO much more than that. If you think it's all about the money, then I'm sorry that you feel that way. It's about the smiles that light up an athletes face when they get that new skill. The screams when they win at competition, the long practices in 80 degree heat in the pursuit of perfection. The life-long lesson of setting a goal and working to achieve it. Learning about disappointment and how to accept criticism, making friendships, becoming part of a family. That's what cheerleading is. It shouldn't really be about the money. Again, that is my opinion and I understand that it's a business! We all need to make money and survive, and I get that.
To you. That is what cheerleading is about to you. And I'd wager- most coaches, owners, cheerleaders, parents, etc. And on the times I remember the good days (lol) that's what it was/is to me.

My argument is that it's not necessarily what it is to Varsity. On the one hand- people need to enjoy it if they're going to continue, but Varsity doesn't get paid in smiles and happy fun times rewards (granted, neither do coaches but it's a spiritual payment for them instead lol). That's the happy feel-good stuff that hopefully turns people into repeat customers, but Varsity is a business. Varsity's market is the cheerleading industry, and their main goal is profits. As long as they're a monopoly, they have a fair amount of free reign. Anything that interferes or that might jeopardize that is no bueno. If you're at the point of sending 'knock it off or there will be trouble' letters to cheerleaders/coaches halfway around the world, that stops being 'about the love' and more about 'keep in line or we'll kick you out.'

ETA: For the record, this is NOTHING to some of the utterly amazing people who work in affiliate businesses. We have some lovely people on here who are really awesome, but happen to work under the umbrella of a company who we know is super shady. I still like you :p

I applaud Varsity, not for taking business away from the small guy but, for providing what people asked for. WE, the parents, the ones with the kids and the money, took our money from the small guy and gave it to the business, heaven forbid, that was meeting what our kids, gym owners and coaches were wanting. Now they're bad?! Varsity is not untouchable, nor is any leader in the industry once someone else figures out how to do it more cost effective. Not to go all God Bless America but, I would love to see Varsity keep plowing away and keep the dollars and employees coming from this side of the pond.

I think it is great that Varsity started up some very well-meaning non-profits to help this sport. I have a problem with Varsity executives being compensated six-figures a year to sit in top-level positions within these non-profits.

I think it is great that Varsity is willing to hire lobbiests to help protect the interests of those involved in this sport. I have a problem with Varsity paying lobbiests to help protect its own personal business interests under the guise of being a representative of the cheer community as a whole.

I think it is great that Varsity saw the needs of this industry and was able to meet them. I have a problem with Varsity making sure that Varsity is the ONLY answer to every cheer need.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Varsity making money. I do see the Varsity side of things. They are a business. The goal of a business is to make money. They have employees that need to be paid, the majority of which are not involved in the shadowy side of Varsity. The problem I have is with the lack of transparency within this company and the way Varsity business practices have evolved the company into a monopolizing entity.

Last edited:
I think it is great that Varsity started up some very well-meaning non-profits to help this sport. I have a problem with Varsity executives being compensated six-figures a year to sit in top-level positions within these non-profits.

I think it is great that Varsity is willing to hire lobbiests to help protect the interests of those involved in this sport. I have a problem with Varsity paying lobbiests to help protect its own personal business interests under the guise of being a representative of the cheer community as a whole.

I think it is great that Varsity saw the needs of this industry and was able to meet them. I have a problem with Varsity with making sure that Varsity is the ONLY answer to every cheer need.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Varsity making money. I do see the Varsity side of things. They are a business. The goal of a business is to make money. They have employees that need to be paid, the majority of which are not involved in the shadowy side of Varsity. The problem I have is with the lack of transparency within this company and the way Varsity business practices have evolved the company into a monopolizing entity.
Too bad I can only shimmy this one time! Shimmy Shimmy Shimmy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To you. That is what cheerleading is about to you. And I'd wager- most coaches, owners, cheerleaders, parents, etc. And on the times I remember the good days (lol) that's what it was/is to me.

My argument is that it's not necessarily what it is to Varsity. On the one hand- people need to enjoy it if they're going to continue, but Varsity doesn't get paid in smiles and happy fun times rewards (granted, neither do coaches but it's a spiritual payment for them instead lol). That's the happy feel-good stuff that hopefully turns people into repeat customers, but Varsity is a business. Varsity's market is the cheerleading industry, and their main goal is profits. As long as they're a monopoly, they have a fair amount of free reign. Anything that interferes or that might jeopardize that is no bueno. If you're at the point of sending 'knock it off or there will be trouble' letters to cheerleaders/coaches halfway around the world, that stops being 'about the love' and more about 'keep in line or we'll kick you out.'

ETA: For the record, this is NOTHING to some of the utterly amazing people who work in affiliate businesses. We have some lovely people on here who are really awesome, but happen to work under the umbrella of a company who we know is super shady. I still like you :p

True, but you can have happy customers and a happy company. :) most people in Varsity probably are amazing people, but one bad apple can spoil the whole bushel. But the transparency is nonexistent so we can't even be sure of that!

Back