All-Star Angel Rice Moving To Cali Smoed For 2014-2015 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

See I more take it as people like the structure (or parts of it) they see in the series, their performances at competitions, reputation etc so much that they are willing to travel and make big sacrifices to be a part of it if that is an option for them. But maybe I am just too innocent :)

I can see both sides of it. I would up and move my life to Texas to pursue being in SOT IOC in a heart beat, but I think that many of those on these big name teams are not moving because of the gym or the team, I think many are driven by the exposure and rings.

I can understand it...who wouldn't want to live for a year in San Diego--its beautiful..and factor in a great team with great coaches and tradition. I say go for it. Since she already has a ring maybe its just for the experience..which I bet will be awesome :) Good Luck!
SMOED trains in Ventura, which is about 3 hours north of San Diego, and, if you ask me, is a much more desirable city/location due to setting and social factors (crime stats also back that up).

I keep thinking of Herb Brooks' line from the movie Miracle-- "All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent. The Soviets win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team. My goal is to beat 'em at their own game."

While the idea of the all-stars of allstar cheer coming together on a super team is intriguing, I'm worried this might backfire.

Last edited:
I can see both sides of it. I would up and move my life to Texas to pursue being in SOT IOC in a heart beat, but I think that many of those on these big name teams are not moving because of the gym or the team, I think many are driven by the exposure and rings.

Agreed. There is a difference between wanting to be on "Smoed - my dream team" and "Smoed - my dream team who has won 3 worlds rings and has a popular webshow"

Last edited:
I saw someone else who is very VERY well known for his tumbling skills, tweet about "sending in a video." The tweet has since been deleted. I'm wondering if it was in reference to this.

I believe smoed does out of state video tryouts earlier, so that the people accepted have a few days to process and decide if they could commit to the move. I saw a screenshot of someone's email last year and it was like "you have until may XX to make a decision." The date was a few days before their tryouts, so that they knew for sure who was coming in and how many spots they had. So I'm sure video tryouts are already happening and possibly have been accepted, so angel isn't necessarily an exception

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Here's an unpopular opinion...

If that's the case, I've got no sympathy for the whole "gym loyalty" argument that resonates from every gym hopper thread on this board. Gyms can't have it both ways and demand loyalty from long time athletes if they're willing to fill their rosters with fly-in ringers before those spots are open to their "home grown" kids. And they can't get salty when their own homegrown kids go fly-in for someone else.

Quite literally, you're [general reference] argument is invalid.

I definitely agree with you on this... I also think that people should really evaluate whether it's really the right fit for them as well. It's not just about getting the exposure/titles, it's about the team chemistry and your learning style/whether the coaches and your teammates can provide the best environment for you. That said, if Brandon had an open 4 team, I would crawl out of retirement and be on the road now ;)

Here's an unpopular opinion...

If that's the case, I've got no sympathy for the whole "gym loyalty" argument that resonates from every gym hopper thread on this board. Gyms can't have it both ways and demand loyalty from long time athletes if they're willing to fill their rosters with fly-in ringers before those spots are open to their "home grown" kids. And they can't get salty when their own homegrown kids go fly-in for someone else.

Quite literally, you're [general reference] argument is invalid.

I agree. I mean, I don't think there's a better way to handle the video tryouts.... But it still seems unfair to their home grown kids. If i owned a gym I'd be like "if you're serious about coming and moving for a year, you need to be present at the same tryouts as everyone else. Don't come if you don't intend to uproot your life to move here."
To be fair, they seemed to be very understanding when jenee moved, so I don't think that they are the gym that would get salty about an athlete going far away. ;)

I keep thinking of Herb Brooks' line from the movie Miracle-- "All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent. The Soviets win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team. My goal is to beat 'em at their own game."

While the idea of the all-stars of allstar cheer coming together one a super team is intriguing, I'm worried this might backfire.
Thank you for the hockey reference... it made me a very happy camper.

See I more take it as people like the structure (or parts of it) they see in the series, their performances at competitions, reputation etc so much that they are willing to travel and make big sacrifices to be a part of it if that is an option for them. But maybe I am just too innocent :)
I agree with you. Given the opportunity who wouldn't enjoy being a part of a team like SMOED ? You're able to be a part of something that you'll never experience anywhere else. It's not better than other teams or other experiences, just unique unto itself. Each program has their own philosophy and with it comes new challenges and with that new opportunities to learn. However sad it may be to leave your current program, some feel it's necessary in their quest to be a well rounded athlete. It may not be worth it for some athletes but for others it works. You must first be loyal to yourself and your calling in life.

Back