All-Star Angel Rice Moving To Cali Smoed For 2014-2015 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have the rule too, if you transfer you can't play sports for a year. It's to keep people from making up reasons to transfer when really it's for sports. They've pretty much stopped granting transfers anyway though.
We have the same rule in my area, too. One year before you can play sports.

Hm. Nothing like that here. But we didn't have school choice or anything, you had to attend the school you were zoned for so I guess that cut down on the transferring. You had to have an address in that area to go to that school, so people didn't really bop around from school to school that often. (Although some people got around it by using a relatives address or parents owning land there or something) You could try out for anything you wanted right away.

Our HS never had any rules, or if we did clearly they weren't followed. Our wrestling team and girls volleyball team was the best in the county, undefeated for years. Because the coaches were selfish, greedy morons who brought in illegal players from other counties just to win. Got caught, banned for four seasons/four years. Oops..... If anything I felt bad for the kids.

Some States have that rule in high school as well. Where I live, if you transfer to a different high school & you plan on playing a sport, you can practice with the team but you can't play for 3 months.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Does this include mid year or in between summers? Like if I was born in Townsville and moved to Cityville in July and wanted to play hockey, I would have to wait three months?

Does this include mid year or in between summers? Like if I was born in Townsville and moved to Cityville in July and wanted to play hockey, I would have to wait three months?
Yep, at least where I'm from. I think it was either 6 months or a full year though. In my county you could pick whatever school you wanted to go to though so people were more inclined to switch.

Crazy to me that all these high schools had these rules. Transferring in college is one thing but if your family moves and you enroll in a new high school I don't think you should have to wait to play.

But like I said we didn't have school choice so moving for sports didn't happen that often.

In AZ the delay in playing HS sports does not apply if the family actually moves to the new school boundaries. The parent has to prove they bought a house or have a house or apartment lease in their name in the new boundary, then the rule does not apply. It isn't to punish everyone that moves but to cut down on recruiting/team stacking.

Crazy to me that all these high schools had these rules. Transferring in college is one thing but if your family moves and you enroll in a new high school I don't think you should have to wait to play.

But like I said we didn't have school choice so moving for sports didn't happen that often.
We had that rule but we were a private school. It was an extra issue for us, as we were very small and our sports worked differently. Certain sports that didn't have the draw at HS could apply to be a co-op team with another program. We did that for boys hockey and boys swimming. That way you could still attend HS but play your sport as well. So we had certain limits on things. Most CT towns only have one HS (MAYBE 2), so switching isn't usually a thing- different city switching was.

I knew a girl who transferred from public to our private who had to wait a whole year for swimming. If you have a specialty program that draws in outside students (my town's public school had a vo-ag program), they also had special rules because otherwise the football coach would 'recruit' kids to the vo-ag program so that they'd play football (which they got caught for).

We had that rule but we were a private school. It was an extra issue for us, as we were very small and our sports worked differently. Certain sports that didn't have the draw at HS could apply to be a co-op team with another program. We did that for boys hockey and boys swimming. That way you could still attend HS but play your sport as well. So we had certain limits on things. Most CT towns only have one HS (MAYBE 2), so switching isn't usually a thing- different city switching was.

I knew a girl who transferred from public to our private who had to wait a whole year for swimming. If you have a specialty program that draws in outside students (my town's public school had a vo-ag program), they also had special rules because otherwise the football coach would 'recruit' kids to the vo-ag program so that they'd play football (which they got caught for).
The "recruiting" happens all the time in private schools down here, but it just gets covered up as "academic scholarships". Usually it was an art scholarship. I had a friend who was on an art scholarship who just so happened to be great a football. He took like one semester of art his freshman year and got to go a pretty prestigious private school for free.

In fact it's such a joke with the private schools in the area that a couple years ago I was at the basketball team of the public school I coached and one of the local private schools. One of the kids in the student section made a sign with a stick figure dude hanging out under a tree with the sun out in the corner and wrote "Hey _________ (name of the school), can I have an art scholarship too?" I laughed.

At my old private school when you transfer, you can play the sport as long as you're enrolled before it starts. So if you transfer in January and want to run track, it's okay. However my freshman year we had a soccer player from a public school transfer in halfway through the soccer season and he threw a fit when he wasn't allowed to play...his loss indeed, they won state that year. :)

We have the rule too, if you transfer you can't play sports for a year. It's to keep people from making up reasons to transfer when really it's for sports. They've pretty much stopped granting transfers anyway though.
Same. All transfer students have to sit out 365 in NC if they don't live in that district and voluntarily transferred in.

Back