All-Star Anybody Else Dislike The ''cheerlebrity'' Phenomenon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I find the constant name dropping that seemed to come up with the "cheerlebrity" phenomenon to be a little disturbing. Everyone is always dropping names on the boards. Why? Why do we all need to know every athletes' name? It makes everyone sound like a busy body. I try to only keep up with teams rather than the individuals on them, but it seems like there are a few athletes that are practically impossible not to know because so many people on the boards are so focused on what these kids are doing. Maybe stop focusing on cheerlebrities and these big name teams and focus on yourself, your team, and your gym for a while?
without being a name dropper...Kiara is a wonderful person for anyone to admire..Ive never met such a humble kid in my life...she’s awesome!

Speaking of Cheerlebrity, here are the Competition dates for the upcoming season!

Cheerlebrity 2012-2013 Tour Dates
Toledo, OH- Nov. 18, 2012
Dallas, TX- Dec 1 or 2, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA- Jan. 26, 2013
Louisville, KY- Feb. 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA- Feb. 24, 2013
Columbus, OH- Mar. 10, 2013

I guess you can blame us lol; the term Cheerlebrity had been used within our circles for years. Then 2 years ago I came up with the idea for Cheerlebrity Competitions. Ask most people who have attended our events and they'll tell you it's a positive experience.

Cheerlebrity

Shameless plug...I like it

without being a name dropper...Kiara is a wonderful person for anyone to admire..Ive never met such a humble kid in my life...she’s awesome!

While don't love the phenomenon of all this focus on these kids, but it makes me so happy to see how some embrace the fact that other kids look up to them as role models and seem to hold themselves to a very high standard because of it. I remember seeing videos of Kiara back in the ProX days when she was SO young and I think it's great that she's grown into someone who handles this "fame" very well and takes the time to share her experience and knowledge with other athletes who share her passion.

To be honest, for as much talent as she has and as much as she has done in her short life thus far, I am surprised she doesn't get talked about more. It is nice that she has all the talent to be considered a cheerlebirty, but isn't someone who gets talked about and brought up so often that people get annoyed.

There are also very few cheerlebrities on Team USA, IMO, for a few reasons:
1) Team USA seems to have VERY little appeal to anyone inside the allstar circuit (where the cheerlebrity phenomenon takes place). It's a Varsity baby, and their appeal has ALWAYS been more traditional HS/Coed Spirit-leading based. Notice how the ICU routines have cheers?
2) Most of the Team USA members are college students, many of whom don't have the draw from the allstar circuit or who probably graduated just before the concept started to take off.
3) There's one girl remotely cheerlebrity-ish who actually has appeal to HS girls- Ryan Martin from that cheer show (Cheerleader Nation?). Varsity is constantly mentioning something about her, from the show to that college Game Day concept to Team USA.

Spot on with that answer. The All Star circuit is what drives this board, this site and most of cheer these days. So those All Star "cheerlebrities" will fade out when they cheer in college too I guess.

My kid cheered All Star and HS from her freshman year, but we knew and she knew that she had a larger goal of cheering at UK. We didn't seek status as she cheered in either, we had a much harder goal in mind - College National Championships, scholarship athlete, part of a championship team. It was NEVER about her as an individual. I can't tell you how many times I chuckled with other college parents about 1) the new "cheerlebrity" coming to tryouts believing that it was in the bag and 2) how the parents of these all star cheerleaders bragged on how good theer kid was. Most of you wouldn't even begin to know who my kid was or what she has done. And thats just fine with us as long as she can bring home the championships and the gold!

Ryan is only a "cheerlebrity" b/c she was on a team that was on TV. Ryan was all of 10th Grade when she was on CheerNation. Varisty has used her "status" to promote cheer wherever they could b/c she was already "known" and was a good spokesperson for Varsity and cheer. Ryan is a sweet person but i sense that she would just as soon not be labeled a "cheerlebrity."

"Cheerlebrities" always are the most looked at when they aren't the majority. Not to throw any shade but the division between Maddie Gardner and Senior Elite. Some people look at SE as "Maddie and the Girls" :cow:
Can everyone just stop complaining about this! Maddie was the point flyer on amazing team and performed/invented difficult stunts, that many other teams nation-wide are attempting. She created a name for herself in the sport of cheerleading for the past few years and she's doing what any other athlete in any other sport does, and that's representing theirself (and in this case her team too).

Last time I checked Maddie was still wearing her CEA SE uniform. You all act like she's wearing a T-shirt that says "#TeamMaddieG", as long as she wears that uniform and speaks about her team in interviews (which she does) she's fine.

Every sport has their most popular athletes! Why can't she be one? Is because she's apart of a team? If that's the case, nfl, nba, nha, mlb, etc teams might as well not have popular athletes. And is you dare say that those athletes in those organizations are popular because of the position they hold on their team, well you just contradicted yourself, because Maddie does hold a position on the team. She's the team leader, point flyer, one of the running tumblers, a spokesmodel, and a World Champion! And she represents the cheerleading world with class, unlike a lot of these 0ther trashy mouth cheerleaders. But which would you perfer to represent your sport? :D

Spot on with that answer. The All Star circuit is what drives this board, this site and most of cheer these days. So those All Star "cheerlebrities" will fade out when they cheer in college too I guess.

My kid cheered All Star and HS from her freshman year, but we knew and she knew that she had a larger goal of cheering at UK. We didn't seek status as she cheered in either, we had a much harder goal in mind - College National Championships, scholarship athlete, part of a championship team. It was NEVER about her as an individual. I can't tell you how many times I chuckled with other college parents about 1) the new "cheerlebrity" coming to tryouts believing that it was in the bag and 2) how the parents of these all star cheerleaders bragged on how good theer kid was. Most of you wouldn't even begin to know who my kid was or what she has done. And thats just fine with us as long as she can bring home the championships and the gold!

Ryan is only a "cheerlebrity" b/c she was on a team that was on TV. Ryan was all of 10th Grade when she was on CheerNation. Varisty has used her "status" to promote cheer wherever they could b/c she was already "known" and was a good spokesperson for Varsity and cheer. Ryan is a sweet person but i sense that she would just as soon not be labeled a "cheerlebrity."
I love that shes a girl and her name is ryan :) I've never personally met another girl named ryan.

As far as cheerlebrities vs. teamlebrities so to speak...This past year we had 2 cheerlebrities at our gym. They both were 1,000% team oriented. Never once did they try to separate themselves from the team. They accepted the wins with the team and accepted the losses as well and through it all preached teamwork. However, their "fans" have often times made comments that "Obsession should have won worlds because the Love sisters deserve to win"; or "I love Obsession because Whittney gives me life". So from my point of view, it's not the cheerlebrities themselves creating negative attention or drawing attention away from their teammates. It's their fans. But regardless, I am GLAD there are cheerlebrities like the Love sisters that can be role models for the younger generation. :)

THIS!!

So my question is, how do you even become a cheerlebrity? Im sure none of them woke up one day like "yea, let me become the most popular person at my gym today, & blah blah blah..." lol. They didnt do it on their own. If i were a "cheerlebrity" and I came across this post, i would be a little bummed about it, actually.

So my question is, how do you even become a cheerlebrity? Im sure none of them woke up one day like "yea, let me become the most popular person at my gym today, & blah blah blah..." lol. They didnt do it on their own. If i were a "cheerlebrity" and I came across this post, i would be a little bummed about it, actually.
From my experience, one of a couple ways:
#1. Be point flyer or last pass on a really high profile team
#2. Have videos made and post on YouTube and on here.

As far as cheerlebrities vs. teamlebrities so to speak...This past year we had 2 cheerlebrities at our gym. They both were 1,000% team oriented. Never once did they try to separate themselves from the team. They accepted the wins with the team and accepted the losses as well and through it all preached teamwork. However, their "fans" have often times made comments that "Obsession should have won worlds because the Love sisters deserve to win"; or "I love Obsession because Whittney gives me life". So from my point of view, it's not the cheerlebrities themselves creating negative attention or drawing attention away from their teammates. It's their fans. But regardless, I am GLAD there are cheerlebrities like the Love sisters that can be role models for the younger generation. :)

I have to agree whole heartedly. There are two cheerlebrities at my CP's gym and they're both amazing young ladies. They're polite, respectful, humble, and hard working. They're not focused on their individual fame...it's all about the team and how they can contribute. I can appreciate the need for fans to idolize a particular cheerleader. It gives young people something to aspire to. You can't say "I want to be like F5 or Sting Rays Orange."

Back