All-Star Anyone Having Trouble Getting Released From Their Old Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are several kids that I know about that are not being released. Some of them because they owe money to the gym they left and some just because the gym owners won't release them. How does everyone feel about this. I have very strong feelings but I am going to hold on to them until I see what other people think.

IMO if you owe the money then you should be released when you have finished paying. If the owner is not releasing because they are bitter, well that isn't a good reason. But I know that there are so many underlying reasons that it is a hard call to make.

My kid was almost not released. When we asked for the release she had been gone for 4 months (not doing allstar) and the gym actually owed us money. I had given up hope and the new gym had removed her from the team. Then out of nowhere its signed. But the sopt on the new team had already been filled by someone else.
I think it was pressure from other parents at the old gym who did not like the way things were being handled that finally got the release. No one thought it was right to hold on to her based on our individual situation. The whole sad stressful situation made my family realize leaving was truly the right decision.
She eventually got a spot on the new team due to an injury. She will be finishing the season and going to worlds.
Both gyms have bids but in different divisions.

I agree that if a gym is owed money they are right not to release an athlete before all accounts are settled. I have done this with gymnasts in the past as it also brings it to the new gyms attention.
I do not agree with coaches & gyms who refuse to release athletes due to bitterness or in some cases laziness.
All situations differ though & I think we can be a bit quick to jump on the athletes side demanding they be released and condeming the first gym for not releasing them without hearing the full story. I know whenever I have refused to release an athlete there has always been a good reason. If they are just wanting to change I'm happy to sign their form & wave goodbye as there is nothing worse than coaching someone who doesn't want to be there.

I think if you owe money to a gym, it's a no-brainer. No release until you're paid in full.

If you don't owe money, then it's a little trickier. I get the argument that if you start the season with a gym that you should end the season with them. I totally understand the competitive aspect of it at the highest levels. But there are often times very valid reasons why an athlete wants to leave a program, and the current Worlds' rules put way too much power in the hands of gym owners.

This isn't college sports, where you're given a scholarship worth tens of thousands of dollars - in that case, I get the idea that there you shouldn't be able to just up and leave without some kind of significant penalty. All-star cheer is a case where athletes are paying for the privilege to participate on a team. There should be some kind of restriction (perhaps a 90 day waiting period between the time you leave your current gym and start competing for the new one) but I'm not sure a rule that basically forces an athlete to stay at a gym for an entire season - no matter what the cirumstances - is appropriate.

I feel VERY passionate about this rule. Unless your safety is at-risk, a significant move is being made, or something happens within the gym that is against common ethics - I dont feel like anyone needs released. The kid made a commitment to a team - if they leave, there is a consequence. The other big thing I have ranted and raved about in another thread is about responsability and maturity. Almost every case I have heard about a kid not being released involves the kids not being mature about it or handling it the right way. I know each coach will be to their own - but if I have a kid who comes in and schedules a meeting time with me and his parents - and they express that they are unhappy and there is nothing I can do to change how they feel and think that the gym down the road would be a better fit, I would try to work something out like "Well we have a competition in two weeks, so this kind of puts us in a bind. How about you finish out this next competition with us, so that will give us time to find a alternate to fill your spot." I would hope the kid would agree to that. However, that is NOT going to be how kids handle it. Kids are going to just stop showing up. Kids are going to try and recruit kids to go with them and rebell against the gym. Kids will spread rumors and lies. Kids will bash your gym on facebook. Kids are going to DEMAND being released vs. asking. Kids are going to have their parents call for them. Now - If there is a kid who genuinely wants to leave gym A and go to gym B and everything is handled in a professional manner and the gym owner at Gym A wont release them - Well - I still stand by the rule that you knew the rule prior to wanting to leave. Most people start their season in May-ish (tryouyts) and the earliest I have ever heard of someone competing is October, and the latest I have heard is December. That gives someone FIVE MONTHS to decide whether the gym is going to work out for them. On top of that - Maybe this will make parents or the athletes themselves more involved in RESEARCHING gyms. I know SOOO MANY kids that think that the Grass is Greener on the other side- So they hop ship and dont like it. A rule is a rule people. You know the rule, if you break it - accept the consequences. Maybe the consequence will be in your favor, maybe not. Its like speeding - sometimes you luck out, and sometimes you dont - but you know the speed limit. Actions has consequences. As a coach, I try and teach my kids life lessons along with cheer. The big one one Ive tried to teach them this year is that EVERY action has a consequence - and sometimes - those consequences affect 19 or 35 other people. Since we are a team sport, and your actions CAN affect other people, that could be a reason NOT to release someone.

Hopefully this rule goes into affect for EVERY level next season - Not just 5's. I also think this rule will help gym owners talk more and be more professional and friendly. I know I have thought about calling our local gym owners for a meeting to see how we all want to handle kids leaving midseason and switching gyms. I think if we are ALL consistant - It will set the tone for our area and will cause better sportsmanship if all gym does the same. Also - We can relay to our kids what we decide on so they know the consequences before they make a choice. Also - I think it is the coaches responsability to put something in the handbook and be UPFRONT about how they will handle these situations!

The money issue should be resolved. Period. Many gym owners whether trying to help families out or to prevent restructuring teams every time someone falls a little behind often extend themselves to families on the finances. Yes I realize it is their fault for doing that but the alternative isnt always much better. Many parents wouldn't pay for kids to be an alternate or just sit until their bill was paid in full or at a decent level. They would just leave. That is a good reason not to release them.

Many gyms scholarship kids. At all levels, for what ever reasoning they want. That is a buisness decision. Just as it is a buisness decision to let a balance ride in hopes of it getting paid in full later, not wanting to restructure teams, etc. Unfortunately some parents know this and use it to their advantage. I have yet to figure out how some parents can not or doesn't have the money to pay the old gym what they owe them but has no problem whatsoever paying the new gym. :D

If you want to leave for whatever reason, fine. Just dont duck and dodge the owners and coaches about it. Dont's say it is one thing then tell everybody else it is something different. Go to them and tell them straight up why you desire to leave. Maybe it can be resolved, maybe not. But at least they hear it from you and not anyone else or on Facebook. Once the bill is resolved, let them go. I would prefer that they finish the season out first but in some cases that seems unlikely. Where I like the release is when the parents pull power plays because Suzie is pulled out of the air flying and they insist she fly or else type situations. Or the if you come to our gym we give you free tuition scenario. In those cases wait to the end of the year then go. After all if they will offer you free tution to gym hop in November why wouldn't they give you the same deal in May?

I feel VERY passionate about this rule. Unless your safety is at-risk, a significant move is being made, or something happens within the gym that is against common ethics - I dont feel like anyone needs released. The kid made a commitment to a team - if they leave, there is a consequence.

I agree that there should be a consequence, which is why I think a 90-day waiting period would be appropriate.

But the problem is that rules, as they're stated today, take none of your exceptions into consideration. They basically give the gym owner the power the arbitrarily keep someone from moving to another program even in circumstances where it would be reasonable to allow them to do so.

Many gyms scholarship kids. At all levels, for what ever reasoning they want. That is a buisness decision. Just as it is a buisness decision to let a balance ride in hopes of it getting paid in full later, not wanting to restructure teams, etc. Unfortunately some parents know this and use it to their advantage. I have yet to figure out how some parents can not or doesn't have the money to pay the old gym what they owe them but has no problem whatsoever paying the new gym. :D

Scholarships, to me, are a financial obligation to your gym in which you are agreeing to compete on that team in exchange for free tuition. If you want to go to another gym during the competition season, you either pay back that "scholarship" or you can't leave. It's not that much different than me being forced to pay back any tuition reimbursement money I get for grad school if I leave my job.

There should be strict USASF guidelines as to when it is appropriate to not release an athlete (and a USASF appeals process). It is a two way street. Gym owners can lack maturity too. If a kid said something to someone or posted something on facebook a gym owner doesn't like and they don't get released, not an acceptable reason, sorry. Any gym owner who uses that as an excuse is lacking maturity. By feeding into the teen talk and using it as an excuse to hold an athlete you only legitimize what is being said.
You may think you have a great reason for holding an athlete but you never know if the parents and other athletes in your gym will agree. I know in my case several parents contacted me and said the situation was not acceptable but they did not have the courage to speak up on my daughters behalf. Sure a few will be evaluating at tryout time.
I agree about gyms stating upfront how they will handle the release. Very mature and professional, keep the emotion out of it.

It is simple. You get to choose your gym every season. If you leave then you need permission to go to another gym. If not, then you wait until next season and make smarter choices. Next year this rule wont be a big deal because it will just be part of what we do.

What if your former gym is not attending worlds at all (Gym A), and you competed with another gym mid season and received a bid (Gym B), and you have paid all fees and there is nothing owed, how do you feel if the gym (A) refuses to release athletes in this situation. Gym A's season is now over so..opinions

What if your former gym is not attending worlds at all (Gym A), and you competed with another gym mid season and received a bid (Gym B), and you have paid all fees and there is nothing owed, how do you feel if the gym (A) refuses to release athletes in this situation. Gym A's season is now over so..opinions

Like I said not simple

Back