Arching In Backhandsprings

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2011
Hey , ive been having trouble arching in my backhandspring . Does anybody have any drills or exercises to help with this ?

Hey , ive been having trouble arching in my backhandspring . Does anybody have any drills or exercises to help with this ?
I think what you mean is that you're having trouble getting your hips up and achieving a nice arched (rainbow as I tell my little friends) position. If your gym has a barrel or pacman mat it can help to practice on that. It can also help to do some jump back drill to practice jumping back into the arched position. You can do those onto a big mat or even on your bed?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think what you mean is that you're having trouble getting your hips up and achieving a nice arched (rainbow as I tell my little friends) position. If your gym has a barrel or pacman mat it can help to practice on that. It can also help to do some jump back drill to practice jumping back into the arched position. You can do those onto a big mat or even on your bed?

Thanks , I will try that :)

try squeezing your tush, back & leg muscles when you launch yourself, that helped me make my BHS way prettier & easier.

Do you have your backwards walkover? After a while of pushing for BHS, we did some drills for backwards walkovers, and after we saw a significant improvement in the BHS.

Agreed with the shoulder flexibility and that that's where the "arch" should originate from. Back handsprings should only be slightly arched (referring to the overall body line not just to the back) so a handstand position can be achieved when landing on the hands. Because then you want your hips to be over your shoulders in order to be able to shrug and snap for a powerful skill to be achieved.

Stretch those shoulders! Contrary to popular belief, the arch in a back handspring should come more from your shoulders, so your back flexibility isn't what matters. It is really coming from your shoulders. Do bridges.

Agreed, but I have something to add.

If you have poor shoulder flexibility, pushing up to a bridge will put most of the stress on your lower back, make it so your shoulders wont get much of a stretch. To fix this, you need to elevate the hips. Do a bridge with your feet on a panel mat. This will make it so your shoulders get stretched properly while also avoiding the added strain to your lumbar spine!

Also... make sure the panel mat is propped up against the wall when you do that drill so that the mat doesn't slide away from you when you push up!

And even more to add!

Poor shoulder flexibility generally comes from a combination of overly tight pectoral muscles, and weak back muscles. These two things come as a result of poor posture, and the forward leaning/reaching positions our society is almost always in (sitting at desks, typing on computers, driving cars.) Google some pectoral stretches, and back strengthening exercises to even better improve your shoulder flexibility.

Hey, Tambra! My daughter and I were watching Coach Meggin's youtube videos tonight, and I thought of your question. She touches on BHS arching here. Hope your BHS is coming along great!

Back