Arm Conditioning For Bases

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 27, 2014
I'm a level 3 side base. I mainly do group stunts/ basket tosses and sometimes single basing stunts. I really want to improve my arm strength over the break - does anyone know any effective exercises that don't put too much pressure on your wrists? I have a recurring issue with my wrists so things like press ups and handstand holds are very painful. Links to videos/ pictures would be appreciated :)

when it comes to basing, arms are very important but its really all about your legs. As long as you're able to lock out your arms you can do any stunt IF you use your legs. i hope this helps! good luck!

legs legs legs are key. i always say that your arms are just there as a prop to hold the foot lol. it won't hurt to strengthen your arms, but a lot more power comes from your legs :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I agree with the others - arm strength is great but basing is about being stable and leg strength is the most important. I also coach my bases to work on their core - core strengthening will increase your stability. Legs, buttocks, and core (abs) - start with that.

Yes, legs are important and what you should be using - but there are some stunts that require arm strength and sometimes you have to use your arms to save a stunt. Plus it can't hurt to have strong arms! You could try just lifting weights, or get a weighted exercise ball and use it (throw it up an catch it, play toss with someone, etc. there are lots of things you can do). I have elbow issues so I feel your pain with arm exercises, anything with weight in arms for a long time (planks, push-ups, grasshoppers) hurt me so it makes it hard to strengthen my arms but we have a weighted ball ad that's what I use most! Usually when conditioning arms at practice I just do legs bc I don't bring the ball with me.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Latest posts

Back