All-Star Article On Espnw Says Cheer Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just going to be talking about school cheer here, so there's no confusion.
If sideline cheer is grounded, I'm mainly curious what to see what will happen to the schools comp team (if they have it) and the team on the sideline. Will the comp team still be allowed to stunt, thus compete, but just not stunt on the sideline? Will the comp team just cease to exist (Which I fear is most likely) or become a STUNT team? Or will there be two separate teams, with a STUNT team and a non-stunting sideline team? I think with sideline cheer grounded, there will be A LOT of girls who stop cheering because of it. While cheering at games can be fun, stunting and tumbling is more fun. I fear sideline cheer will become the stereotypical team with girls just wanting to wear the uniform. And whether or not this does happen, with sideline cheer being grounded, but still existing, I feel they might get pushed around.
At least in my experience, the AD, the principal, governing body of the school, etc want you to be at all the games, pre-games, community events, show up at every school fundraiser, basically any event your school puts on/hosts. But you don't get funding because you're not an athlete and you're volunteering your time.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

thank you. So in Texas is sideline cheer the only one that will be considered at sport? If so what will happen to those schools that have competition team only? Will it change their competition season/state championship?
The UIL is the sanctioning body for all school sports in Texas. Here is an article that was posted just recently regarding "game day" cheer in Texas. UIL Legislative Council: Texas high school cheerleading may become an official sport | Dallas Morning News

Can you give me an argument as to why tackling is allowed in football, or checking in hockey? I think the same concept can be applied to cheerleading, regardless of whether it's classified a sport or not.

You do realize that the sports world is discussing this same issue about safety and contact for kids. Checking is being taken out of the game for kids and most experts say no tackle before 14 years old in football.

You do realize that the sports world is discussing this same issue about safety and contact for kids. Checking is being taken out of the game for kids and most experts say no tackle before 14 years old in football.
Yes... What's your point? Not sure how that would change anything I've said.

Mostly I don't think you (you being anyone) can argue cheer shouldnt be a sport BUT you should be able to do the death defying skills at a game. The argument breaks down the more it is talked out.
Most important concept for cheerleaders, coaches, cheer parents, gym owners ect to understand about AMA and AAP statements. They are not settling the "bar room" argument whether cheerleading is a sport. The doctors/medical experts(AMA most respected doctor org in US) are saying that the 'skills' used by cheerleaders 'acrobatics and tumbling' is gymnastics which is a sport. Therefore it requires a sport standard of care when training or supervising, as well as when doctors treat cheerleaders who were injured doing gymnastics.

So whether you are doing sideline, or college or all stars or rec league, if you are doing acrobatics or tumbling those skills are a sport with a standard of care established and recognized by the USOC through the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act.

Doesn't mean cheer can not exists or is governed by USAG unless they chose to like the NCATA. We can be governed by however we choose.

What it does mean is that you can not increase the risk to cheerleaders by teaching them gymnastics with a lesser standard of care than USAG. Participants are not assuming that because you call it cheerleading instead of acrobatics and tumbling that you are increasing the risk by not providing risk management equal or greater than USAG.

Most important concept for cheerleaders, coaches, cheer parents, gym owners ect to understand about AMA and AAP statements. They are not settling the "bar room" argument whether cheerleading is a sport. The doctors/medical experts(AMA most respected doctor org in US) are saying that the 'skills' used by cheerleaders 'acrobatics and tumbling' is gymnastics which is a sport. Therefore it requires a sport standard of care when training or supervising, as well as when doctors treat cheerleaders who were injured doing gymnastics.

So whether you are doing sideline, or college or all stars or rec league, if you are doing acrobatics or tumbling those skills are a sport with a standard of care established and recognized by the USOC through the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act.

Doesn't mean cheer can not exists or is governed by USAG unless they chose to like the NCATA. We can be governed by however we choose.

What it does mean is that you can not increase the risk to cheerleaders by teaching them gymnastics with a lesser standard of care than USAG. Participants are not assuming that because you call it cheerleading instead of acrobatics and tumbling that you are increasing the risk by not providing risk management equal or greater than USAG.

Right, which means if these people can't afford the care those skills demand AND those skills truly add nothing to what the central core job of cheer is they need to go away. Many crowd leaders use no such acrobatics and still do an effective job.

Right, which means if these people can't afford the care those skills demand AND those skills truly add nothing to what the central core job of cheer is they need to go away. Many crowd leaders use no such acrobatics and still do an effective job.

Last sporting events I went to were the Superbowl and LA Lakers games. No acrobatics or tumbling by the cheerleaders and lots of yelling from the crowd.

Just how relevant the conversation was to all sports and that contact between children in the name of sport is a hot topic right now.

Last sporting events I went to were the Superbowl and LA Lakers games. No acrobatics or tumbling by the cheerleaders and lots of yelling from the crowd.

Which realistically is where all crowd leading is going.

For the Allstar industry they should be HIGHLY consumed with getting high school cheer to be a sport because of how much training a gym makes teaching HS cheer. Because if that goes away there isn't much to replace that gap in money. For crowd leading uniforms would still be important so I'm not sure uniform companies would suffer.

Which realistically is where all crowd leading is going.

For the Allstar industry they should be HIGHLY consumed with getting high school cheer to be a sport because of how much training a gym makes teaching HS cheer. Because if that goes away there isn't much to replace that gap in money. For crowd leading uniforms would still be important so I'm not sure uniform companies would suffer.

Exactly! Sideline cheer isn't going anywhere, it's a part of American culture. Giving new opportunities for females athletes will only grow the industry.

Exactly! Sideline cheer isn't going anywhere, it's a part of American culture. Giving new opportunities for females athletes will only grow the industry.

Can you justify a reason sideline needs to be able to do skills besides signs and yelling? I have a hard time selling the need for skills when our main job is crowd leading.

Back