All-Star At What Point Is The Gym Owner Responsible?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To just put to rest, PBL owners did notify the police when a child came to them and reported what happened. It was reported within an hour of finding out. There are a few bitter ex gym parents that like to cause drama and post under articles that the owners were aware that things were happening for years. I can tell you that when said parents came and complained about a single cheerleader getting too much attention and they were concerened the owners talked to the child, coach & her parents and everyone said nothing was going on. They did the right thing. You cannot fire a coach everytime you have an upset parent. The handful of parents that are causing so much noise start trouble at all the gyms they have been to. It is an unfortante thing that has hppened here and all are hurting. The coach will have his day in court & that is the way it should be. No one else is too blame. The gym owners cannot control what this coach decided to do outside of the gym.

Funny, only one of the articles mentioned he worked at CIA- was he a coach? Occasional tumbling instructor?
He was Co-owner of the gym and coach as well as competitor on one of the teams. I feel as though the gym was only mentioned in the first place to make a bigger deal of the story. At the time when all the reports were aired and printed though he was no longer associated with the gym. The reason there seems to not be any statements from the gym as to what happened was in part due to the fact that it was a high school cheerleader and the alleged incident took place at his home. Also when the incident hit the media we were all, needless to say, completely blind sided so there was a scramble to react to what we knew was going to happen. The media was at our facility and did talk to the owner, however at the time none of us really knew what was going on and it would have been out of turn for anyone to have said anything for certain. The kids were kept in the dark about it while all parents were notified of what had happened to him via e-mail the day he had been arrested at which point all his shares of the gym were turned over and he was banned from the premises and contact with the athletes. Though the international athletes who were of age kept in touch with him.
We have had cameras in our gym for about three years now.
Consequently the owner took all of the coaches gym keys with exception to her children who work for the gym, two front desk people, and our oldest female tumbling coach who has been with that family and organization since the beginning.
None of the male coaches are allowed in the gym for privates alone unless the parent has accompanied the child. If not, then another coach is there with them. But the gym is always open and busy so no one is every actually in a position to be left alone in the first place.
That said it is always the gym owners responsibility. If you know about something like this going on within your program it is your job to speak up. The children are your business. When they are in danger so is your business.

He was Co-owner of the gym and coach as well as competitor on one of the teams. I feel as though the gym was only mentioned in the first place to make a bigger deal of the story. At the time when all the reports were aired and printed though he was no longer associated with the gym. The reason there seems to not be any statements from the gym as to what happened was in part due to the fact that it was a high school cheerleader and the alleged incident took place at his home. Also when the incident hit the media we were all, needless to say, completely blind sided so there was a scramble to react to what we knew was going to happen. The media was at our facility and did talk to the owner, however at the time none of us really knew what was going on and it would have been out of turn for anyone to have said anything for certain. The kids were kept in the dark about it while all parents were notified of what had happened to him via e-mail the day he had been arrested at which point all his shares of the gym were turned over and he was banned from the premises and contact with the athletes. Though the international athletes who were of age kept in touch with him.
We have had cameras in our gym for about three years now.
Consequently the owner took all of the coaches gym keys with exception to her children who work for the gym, two front desk people, and our oldest female tumbling coach who has been with that family and organization since the beginning.
None of the male coaches are allowed in the gym for privates alone unless the parent has accompanied the child. If not, then another coach is there with them. But the gym is always open and busy so no one is every actually in a position to be left alone in the first place.
That said it is always the gym owners responsibility. If you know about something like this going on within your program it is your job to speak up. The children are your business. When they are in danger so is your business.

I'm happy to hear Tara handled things that way, even when the incident in question was not at her gym. It seems like she really sees the importance of keeping her athletes safe!

Thanks for the update. I knew there were a fair few people from the gym on here, but I wasn't sure to expect an actual response. Good to know nobody else was potentially harmed.

I'm happy to hear Tara handled things that way, even when the incident in question was not at her gym. It seems like she really sees the importance of keeping her athletes safe!

Yes. She almost lost everything she's worked so hard for for 18 years. She's not taking any chances. Luckily it didn't effect the program at all. Everyone misses him, but the kids are as happy as ever.

Thanks for the update. I knew there were a fair few people from the gym on here, but I wasn't sure to expect an actual response. Good to know nobody else was potentially harmed.
After the incident in question, since I'm the cheer freak at the gym; and the one who introduced most of ten people there to the board, I was asked to keep a look-out. Haven't been in as much recently and just stumbled upon it. And since people asked...

Back