High School Back Handspring Consistency Tips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2013
I have a consistency problem when I throw handsprings.. Like I'll do two or three good ones in a row, and then they get really bad.. By bad I mean I forget to block through my shoulders and throw my hips up, or one of the two. I have tried doing them over and over again, but I just end up getting tired and then they get worse :-P Any tips on improving my consistency, so they're good every time?

Keep practicing. Sounds like, while you have the muscles to do the back handspring, they aren't developed enough to do several in a row. Work on your shoulder and back muscles. Do donkey kicks all the way down the gym floor making sure to pop back up all the way as you would with a back handspring. Repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll get there.

You're on the right track. It does sound to me that you're over thinking. By that I mean you're thinking about too many things. Jump, hips, shoulders, block, feet etc. etc. Slow it down and simplify. When you're doing the good ones what ONE thing that you're thinking about helps most? When you are struggling refer back to that "thing". I tell my kids, when all else fails JUMP! Jump is the #1 most important part of a bhs! Good Luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think you just need to strengthen your core. Not only do back handsprings but always do the drills given too. What I have notices is inconsistent back handsprings become more consistent with drills - such as jump back drills (jump on the crash mat), hand stand pops (when you do a hand stand, shrug your shoulders and try and jump), back- walkovers or even back bend kick overs, back extension rolls, handstand forward rolls, even doing a few on a cheese mat (wedge) in between. All of this will strengthen your core and use the muscles that you need for handsprings. Also, your body will "remember" positions and it's almost a memory in motion thing where you don't even need to think anymore, it just happens!

My squad hates drills but those who do their drills and properly are the ones who end up with the better most consistent handsprings :)

Keep drilling them, but NOT when you're tired. The back handspring is a foundation when progressing to other skills. Don't compromise technique for the sake of "throwing a skill"... you will thank yourself when you begin higher-level tumbling! Good luck!

Back