Back Handspring Help!!! Urgent!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 24, 2014
ok so i am currently level 1, 13 and here in Australia our tryouts for the new season are in december. I really want to be level 2 next year so i need a back handspring we are working them in tumbling but i have one problem and this is in my back walkover too but they are better..
i cant keep my hands closer to my head!
Its really annoying most of the tricks i do that are "backwards" my hands are always so far apart and i know its my job to fix it but how do i break this habit and get my back handspring?
Like i do it with my coach and im not scared to go back or anything i just cant keep my hands close and open my shoulder?
please help!!:(

How is your shoulder flexibility? Can you get your shoulders pushed beyond your hands in a bridge? Can you put you arms straight up by your ears and push them behind your head without arching your lower back? CP had this problem, and shoulder flexibility was the issue. She couldn't get her arms into the right position for a BWO without opening them wider. Daily shoulder stretches helped a lot.

How is your shoulder flexibility? Can you get your shoulders pushed beyond your hands in a bridge? Can you put you arms straight up by your ears and push them behind your head without arching your lower back? CP had this problem, and shoulder flexibility was the issue. She couldn't get her arms into the right position for a BWO without opening them wider. Daily shoulder stretches helped a lot.

Which shoulder stretches did your CP do?? I'm looking for some new ones!

Which shoulder stretches did your CP do?? I'm looking for some new ones!
It takes a helper for most if them. I stretch her in child's pose, pushing directly in the center of he shoulder blades, goal being for her armpits to touch the floor. I also have her cross her arms over her head and touch each shoulder blade. I them work on bringing the elbows together and back. You can stretch without a partner by kneeling in front of a flat surface a couple of feet off the ground (chair, bench, sofa ect) place your arms on the surface so the you elbows are not hanging off, drop your rump to your heels and your heD between your arms. Hold when it starts getting tight, then drop your head a little more, like stretching a split.

Back