Back Or Front Spot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 31, 2015
Hey dallies(That what I call all my friends btw)! I am new to the hole cheerleading experience, I've danced for my whole life...cheering is a lot more fun, and I just have some questions. I'm going to be assigned front or back spot on Tuesday.

1. Do you still do stretches, scorpions, needles, even if you not flying?
2. Does anyone have any advice for cheerleaders with semi-bad knees?
and lastly
3. How do you connect with your teams and get into the full spirit of cheer?

This was my first year trying out and I am a high potential for varsity(I'm going into 9th grade after this summer) am I'm kind of nervous. The girls on that team seem nice but the coach said there are a lot of cheers and dances to learn.

Thank you for you help and... STAY FIERCE:deathdrop:

1. Those are flyer body positions, so you may not pull them if you're not flying. However, even if you're not flying, you still will need to develop/maintain your flexibility for jumps and such.

2. What sort of knee injury are you referring to?

3. You'll probably do some team building games/activities early in the season.

4. I've never really seen high school teams using front spots. However, if you have NEVER stunted, it makes sense.

1. Those are flyer body positions, so you may not pull them if you're not flying. However, even if you're not flying, you still will need to develop/maintain your flexibility for jumps and such.

2. What sort of knee injury are you referring to?

3. You'll probably do some team building games/activities early in the season.

4. I've never really seen high school teams using front spots. However, if you have NEVER stunted, it makes sense.

I have (it's a long one) bilateral knee patella femur pains. Basically there is a moderate amount of cartilage in both of my knees that have been bruised and or rubbed away. My doctor says they should have healed by know but they haven't. They don't hurt all the time but I have two doctor issued knee braces for them. So I was just wondering if there were any tips with how to work around it.
At our school we have fronts spots because last year one of our flyers fell forwards and the bases almost couldn't catch her, so the coach opens more spots for them now.

Hey dallies(That what I call all my friends btw)! I am new to the hole cheerleading experience, I've danced for my whole life...cheering is a lot more fun, and I just have some questions. I'm going to be assigned front or back spot on Tuesday.

and lastly
3. How do you connect with your teams and get into the full spirit of cheer?

This was my first year trying out and I am a high potential for varsity(I'm going into 9th grade after this summer) am I'm kind of nervous. The girls on that team seem nice but the coach said there are a lot of cheers and dances to learn.

Thank you for you help and... STAY FIERCE:deathdrop:

1. If you're not flying, being able to pull these positions is not necessarily required. However, all of the girls on our team enjoy working towards getting their scorpion/needle, regardless of whether or not they fly. You should absolutely still be doing stretches (you'll most likely be stretching with your high school team).

2. I don't have much advice, but definitely let your coach know if you feel pain in your knees. You don't want to get injured right before a competition/game!

3. Go in with some knowledge of cheerleading! Youtube has a ton of highschool cheerleading routines to watch so you can see what you may be expected to do. No matter how bad a day you are having, be upbeat and be positive. Ask questions if you don't know how to do something, and help a teammate if they're a bit lost. Help your flyer stretch.

Good luck!

I would always recommend stretching because you don't know when a flyer vacancy will open up!
I had bad knees when I was growing, I used to put ice on them after every practice even if they didn't hurt then.

Back