Back-spot Help!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So besides keeping your eyes on your flyer and keeping your flyer off the floor, I always focused on a few things.
1. Know the counts. You're really like the controller of the group. For me, both in high school and college, backspots always counted for the group. You can really make or break the group.
2. As the controller... Be in control! Grab ankles and lift! Being a backspot really isn't too hard, technically speaking. You toss, catch, grab ankles, and lift up. You don't have a person standing on your hands, so I always tried to make it easier on my bases. You really can control the direction of stunts based on what you do.
3. Don't be afraid to change grips if the stunt needs it. If you feel your flying coming back at you, get a higher grip and push her back up. And on the same topic, if your flyer is falling be sure to let go of ankles and catch her upper body, which can involve taking a few steps back to catch. In my experience, flyers will mostly fall backwards so I was usually able to catch under her arms, as if it were a cradle. But there will be a few times where you just have to grab what you can, but ALWAYS go for the upper body.
Also, I know people are saying "don't be afraid to catch your flyer" but for me, I never had a fear of catching my flyer. It was almost instinctual to catch her, it never really crossed my mind that I could get hurt. However! Trying new skills would make me nervous. So, when trying new skills, always give 100% and don't afraid to ask questions or clarify what you're supposed to do. You should also have spotters when doing new skills, so there won't be so much pressure all on you for catching the flyer if something goes amiss.

I never understood the no talking while stunting rule. Of course no joking, but when I cheered I always talked to my group. it worked for us. However, I was usually paired with the weaker bases or flyer so all the tips while doing helped a lot.

I never understood the no talking while stunting rule. Of course no joking, but when I cheered I always talked to my group. it worked for us. However, I was usually paired with the weaker bases or flyer so all the tips while doing helped a lot.
CP's groups always talk so they know what was going on and how they can help each other and react better

**well now, this could be interesting**

So funny you say that! I saw CP and her group talking during a competition one day. I asked her what they were doing and she said 'we told each other that we could make this stunt hit- that we could do it'! And they did!

always depends on your skill level. if your entering as a new backspot, then talking within the group can be a huge distraction and more destructive than constructive. for a beginning backspot in a group that may necessarily need the backstop (usually beginning groups) it can be fairly dangerous if not focused on practicing their new skill.

Swallow your fear and accept the fact that you will get hit. Hard. And it will hurt. But it's better than dropping your flyer.

Extended stunts were terrifying for me, so watching your flyer's hips definitely helps.

Exactly I've gotten so many injuries including a broken nose(body to the face) but I made sure my flyer was caught and safe

Edited: that was mostly me as well

Last edited:
I think it's very important to remember to lift! I know many back spots that just squeeze the ankle (equally important) or steady the foot but it's also super important to help lift upward to help the bases, I find a gun grip really helpful for libs too :)

I was a backstop my entire allstar career for levels 2-5 and continue to back on my open level 6 team. Find the tendon in your flyers ankle and squeeze it tight, it makes their ankle immobile. Lift up as much weight as you can, you will be your bases favorite person for it. In stunts where you release the flyer, make sure you find her ankle as soon as you can and grab it! As said before, don't be afraid to catch! No matter what you can't let her hit the ground, she has farther to fall than you do. Lastly, and most importantly, YOU are in charge of the stunt so keep your group on the same page and call out your decisions loud for all to hear!

Back