Back Spotting. A Little Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 20, 2012
Ok. So I'm a male allstar cheerleader. I am a backspot. I'm pretty solid, muscularly built from twelve years of gymnastics. I am great at spotting preps, extensions, and cradles. I am fine with spotting one legged stunts too, such as a lib, but I would have to admit this to be my worst one. I am still pretty decent. I have never let a flyer hit the ground. I've made quite a few falling Saves.

My names nick, and i just want a few tips on spotting one-legged stunts.

A good backspot is invaluable. You can really control the stunt, the dismount and transitions. Help with lifting the flyers weight off of the bases--don't take the burden completely off, they still need to lift too in order for a stunt to be stable, but really help pull up.
For the load in, If you're tossing from the waist, make sure to toss up to the bases without shoving the flyer forward. If you're pushing up from the seat be sure to give a good push but, again, don't shove forward.

Always watch the back of your flyers shoulders/head. This is your most important job.

I've been backspotting for a while now. It always helps me to grip the ankle in 1 legged stunts with my stronger arm higher to help lift. Like she said above, you want to help lift up to take a little bit of a burden off of the bases, but the flyer still needs to be able to lift herself for body position control. Hope this helps a little. :)

I agree with the above posters and would also like to add that you want to hold the ankle tight, and be in the stunt. If someone was to look at your stunt group from the side, you shouldn't be too far out from the bases. You want to utilize your height to help keep the stunt up before you use your strength. You will need your strength for when you need to save the stunt, or for transitions, so you don't want to burn yourself out just keeping it up there.

One thing I always tell my backspots is to remember that as a back, you have control of the stunt. You can see things from a different perspective then the bases. Don't be afraid to communicate to the bases and the flyer while your stunting (such as "stay up there" or "step in bases".) Also talk to the flyer and find out how they like to be backed, do they freak out if your not on their ankle? Do they feel more comfortable if you help them load in, or do they want to do it themselves? Does their ankle roll out at all? All of these things will help make your job easier, and make your stunt group tighter since your communicating!

Pm me if you have any additional questions! Hope this helps!!

Back