Back Tuck Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 28, 2012
I can do a back tuck perfectly with someone "spotting" me. Even though I know they aren't doing anything, they are just putting their hand there just in case.

But when I try it alone, I either land on my knees or put my hands down. I don't know what it is that makes me do that. It is almost as if my body just automatically lands like that.

I need my back tuck really soon cause I have a competition in a few days. My team went to nationals and I did it perfectly there. But, I cant seem to land it unless someone's hand is there even though they have told me and I know they are doing nothing. I really need some help and I would really appreciate it! :)

it sounds like maybe you are opening up too early, make sure you dont let go of your legs until you have landed all the way. Also make sure you set high, i really hope this helps good luck at the comp :)

It could be mental too. When practicing BHS, I could throw beautiful ones with someone touching my back, not even spotting. But on my own they dead hamstered over and I got nice and up close with the floor. For me, it was the nerves of not having that safety net there. It took me a long time to get them looking pretty on their own. All I can say is rep them out. The more you do, the more comfortable you get with them and the more consistent they will get

This is me. I would do the same thing, until one day it all clicked. Standing tucks are the only skill i have to 'think' about. I think to myself, "Up,Tuck,Open." Also don't close your eyes, if you do. If you don't know where you are you wont know when to open.

probably mental! i am a really powerful running tumbler, but when it comes to standing i am not as consitant. i have a standing tuck, but there are days ill just put my hands down or land on my knees. set up, wait for your knees to reach your chest, pull and land! sounds like you have it! good luck, you'll have it in no time! everytime i cant seem to do a skill i give myself a reason to do it for (such as pretending im at tryouts, basically stuff to make me throw it like i was being put under pressure)

It could be mental too. When practicing BHS, I could throw beautiful ones with someone touching my back, not even spotting. But on my own they dead hamstered over and I got nice and up close with the floor. For me, it was the nerves of not having that safety net there. It took me a long time to get them looking pretty on their own. All I can say is rep them out. The more you do, the more comfortable you get with them and the more consistent they will get
First off, I wish I could shimmy this twice for the phrase "dead hamestered." I literally laughed out loud.

But yes, I would agree with you. It is most likely that feeling of comfort stopping you from going. If you have safety equipment, like a crash mat, do your tuck onto it. If not, one thing I do as a coach, is to spot a skill, but I start with my hand about an inch away from the athletes body. That way they don't feel me right away, and won't have that subconscious, physical, cue that tells them to go. If your coach is comfortable spotting like that, ask them to!

dead hamstered

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - like crying laughing so hard!!!!!

As for the tuck, sometimes the hand is a mental bar to jump over and you know you need to get over the hand that is spotting, so think of an imaginary bar that you need to tuck over. And then pull something, whether it's behind knees or in front, just pull :)

Sounds to me like you're doing one or two things
1. You're opening up to early. Try to stay tucked in like a half a second longer.
2. Keep your chest up. Right when u open up, look for a spot on a the wall somewhere above eye level. It helps a lot. My coach always has to tell me to do that when I touch down and it helps everytime

It is most likely a mental thing. I have so many problems like that it's crazy! Just repeat them over and over again and one day it will just click! Trust me.:)

I can do a back tuck perfectly with someone "spotting" me. Even though I know they aren't doing anything, they are just putting their hand there just in case.

But when I try it alone, I either land on my knees or put my hands down. I don't know what it is that makes me do that. It is almost as if my body just automatically lands like that.

I need my back tuck really soon cause I have a competition in a few days. My team went to nationals and I did it perfectly there. But, I cant seem to land it unless someone's hand is there even though they have told me and I know they are doing nothing. I really need some help and I would really appreciate it! :)
at your point in training the back tuck the spot is not lifting or assisting you in the skill but the spot is letting your brain know which direction to jump and push. (cause you can't see backwards) Have your spotter touch you with the hand where they normally spot you and say to you "this is backwards" then move the hand a few inches away. When you jump think of where the hand touched you and try to jump "over the hand". Do this repeatedly until you teach your brain where "back" is on your back tuck. Good Luck, repetition builds confidence!

Following on from the reply which said to keep your chest up and look for a spot on the wall when you open, make sure when you open you are initiating this movement by driving the chest up and hips underneath you rather than reaching forwards for the floor. It's a natural reaction to reach down for the floor but you will overcome this in time. Goodluck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back