Back Tuck Problem

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 8, 2010
I've been working on my round off tuck and round off bhs tuck for a while now. I'm very close to doing them by myself. I have a ton a power and height and the set comes naturally to me. But I still haven't learned when to open up. I have no idea where I am in the air and every time it's a complete guessing game as to when to open. My coach keeps telling me it'll come with time. But every week its not getting any easier. It's so frustrating that i'm having trouble with something so simple.

Right now are you opening up too early and then just landing on your hands and knees? If so then honestly just keep holding on until you can feel yourself right side up again. Just focus on the feeling of where you are, since that seems to be your only issue. If you have access to a tumble track use that to slow yourself down a little, focus on going super high and spotting something on the wall. After you rotate look for that same spot and once you see it, open up. Try having your coach yell OPEN or something that will get your attention right at the moment you need to open up. Good luck!

I've been working on my round off tuck and round off bhs tuck for a while now. I'm very close to doing them by myself. I have a ton a power and height and the set comes naturally to me. But I still haven't learned when to open up. I have no idea where I am in the air and every time it's a complete guessing game as to when to open. My coach keeps telling me it'll come with time. But every week its not getting any easier. It's so frustrating that i'm having trouble with something so simple.

If you have a nice set, you should be high off the floor. When you set, don't throw your head back and keep looking straight forward. When your body flips over your feet will naturally come down to the floor. Don't try to make yourself open up. When you see the floor, stand up. It's about repetition, time and practice. Just keep doing them..you'll get it!

What I think of, is just to set as long and as high as you can and then pull your knees in. I feel like if you set higher, it gives you more time to process things. Good luck:)

Back