Back Walkover Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What is the highest skill you can throw WITHOUT a spot?

• Total voters
Jan 3, 2012
So, I have my standing Handspring and roundoff series. I'm starting standing and running tucks. I'm on a level 2 senior Allstar team and I STILL don't have a backwalkover!!!' I have to have backwalkover back handspring before choreo camp! (June) I know that you have to start one one leg while the other one is weightless but last time I did that, I biffed it Because my arms totally crumpled under me! And I can do it with a spot (obviously). I know it's not arm strength Because well I'm a base and I'm one of the only bases that can put up the heavier flyers. My coach told me it might be back flexibility and I should stretch - but I have my needle! Like what is going on!

I had lots of trouble with my back walkover, but I practiced really fast back bend kick overs, or kicked over with both legs at the same time, and eventually it just came!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Maybe it's just a mental thing. I hate the bending backwards part. I am super jealous of anyone that can do a back walkover.

Maybe it's just a mental thing. I hate the bending backwards part. I am super jealous of anyone that can do a back walkover.

I'm so glad I don't have to. I can tumble, but I've never been able to walkover, not even when I was a kid in gymnastics. One coach tried to spot me going into bridge from standing then stopped me halfway and said never mind, just go from the floor.

OP, sorry to thread jack. I agree that it could be mental, or perhaps you're not getting your arms under you?? Just cos you can lift tops doesn't mean you necessarily have the sam strength for tumbling. Maybe look at working your shoulder flexibility too, though it's tough to say without seeing a video

Sounds like maybe a shoulder flexibility thing. With the BHS you can get away with "jumping past" a certain amount of shoulder inflexibility but not with the walkover. Are your shoulders completely over or past your hands when you kick your base leg? If not you need more shoulder flexibility.

Back