Backhandspring Help!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 11, 2012
What are some drills or exersices that will help me snapdown at the end of my backhandspring to make it easier to do multiples?

I used to have the same problem. Try doing a handstand snap down and then rebound as soon as you get to your feet. It worked for me. Remember that it wont just happen after one or two tries. If that doesnt help, then ask a coach or a spotter. Good luck.

If you can at a gym, put a spring board against the wall, with the higher part facing out. Kick up to a handstand with your hands on the edge of the spring board and let your feet fall over your head and land on the wall. Then push off the wall with your legs and snap down as fast as you can! The spring board will help give you momentum and power so you can really understand what you're supposed to do and how it feels.
You can also do it without a spring board if unavailable. Just be sure to have your legs over your body against the wall, so you have to pull your legs over yourself. Doing it from just a normal handstand was hard for me because I had no momentum whatsoever, plus I'm tall with most of my height from my legs.

I really struggle with blocking, i'm working on my core and lower body strength for the snap down. But what is the best way to develop shoulder/arm strength so i can block properly? I can't even pop in a handstand!!

ilikebigbows anything a little less hardcore? I might have to work up to full handstand pushups! Doing handstand shrugs at the moment....
Believe it or not, what you're doing (the shrugs) should help a lot. I have an advantage and have a bowflex at home that I use for arm/shoulder stuff, but regular push ups and triangle push ups (where you push up with your hands touching so they make a triangle) are great for arms. I think your core is the most important part regarding your snap down though. Never hurts to be strong in all areas though!

Back