Backhandspring Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2015
Hey guys,

do you have any tips on my backhandspring because I just don't know how I can fix the problems with my bend legs and arms? :(

Thank you :)

Keep your arms closer together! If you keep them by your ears & shrug through your shoulders, rather than your elbows, they shouldn't bend. Make sure you snap your legs down using your abs rather than just letting them kinda fall over. To fix that, handstand snapdowns and backwalkover snapdowns are really good drills!
And idk if this is really an issue, bc lots of people learn this way, but my tumbling coaches always told us not to start with our hands up or out because it takes away from the fact that you're going backwards or something like that.

Hopefully this helps a little! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep your arms closer together! If you keep them by your ears & shrug through your shoulders, rather than your elbows, they shouldn't bend. Make sure you snap your legs down using your abs rather than just letting them kinda fall over. To fix that, handstand snapdowns and backwalkover snapdowns are really good drills!
And idk if this is really an issue, bc lots of people learn this way, but my tumbling coaches always told us not to start with our hands up or out because it takes away from the fact that you're going backwards or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you vannahlexis for helping me. I'm looking forward to make use of all your corrections :) .

Looks to me like you are pulling you hips aggressively on takeoff, but you stop pulling them when your hands hit and it stalls you out. Too much weight goes to your arms and they bend, and you cannot snap down effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

280jm0z.jpg

The comments above have the right idea. If we take this piece by piece, you will see that in the initial sit of the backhandspring (aside from feet not being together completely on take off) in frame 1, your BHS looks very similar to the model BHS picture below ;).
Now when we move over to frame 2, notice the position of the knees between top and bottom picture. The bottom picture is still sitting back in the chair position, ready to explode through her toes as she jumps back, stretching that BHS nice and long. The top picture shows more of a vertical jump up, cutting that BHS short. To add to this, notice the arm placements of each picture in frame 2. The bottom picture has her arms glued to her temples(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...PSF).svg/250px-Temple_(anatomy)_(PSF).svg.png ) so that she is reeeeeaching back in one nice vertical body line. This is similar to how your arms should be locked by your head in a handstand (http://f.tqn.com/y/gymnastics/1/S/B/4/-/-/Step7.jpg). By keeping those arms locked at your temples, it allows your body to lock out those arms and block once you are at frame 3. If the arms are already bent and spread further than shoulder distance apart at frame 2, once your hands hit the mat in frame 3, gravity will only bend them further.
This is where we come to the issues in frames 3 & 4. Since the arms are not glued to the head and locked out, they crumble. A short BHS will only add to this vertical force, making your upper body go toward the ground faster. With the arms this way, it does not allow you to block properly (the main part of the block is keeping arms glued to your head with the push coming from the shoulders...to demonstrate this feeling, put your arms straight up in the air next to your ears and then shrug your shoulders up. That is what's supposed to happen when your hands hit the mat! Your shoulders shrug to PUSH off that floor and give you enough time to snap down).With a proper block, there is enough time to snap those legs down, with the body hitting a nice hollow position before standing up. (frame 3 is the block, frame 4 is the snap down).

I would suggest that you work first on your blocking drills. This is the major issue primarily. Throw in some snap down drills and also a few drills of sitting and jumping BACK onto mats with arms glued to your temples as well however, as these components look to also need some review. Many of these drills can be found in videos or online if you look up Backhandspring Drills, such as:
Beginner backhandspring drills - YouTube
Back Handspring Drills - YouTube
Drills - For the "Love" of Tumbling

Latest posts

Back