Backwards Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2015
I have been having trouble with going backwards in tumbling. I can do front skills fine, but when it comes to back bends and BHS I get scared and twist out of it, instead of going back into my bridge. Sometimes I will just refuse to do it. I have this feeling in my mind that it is illogical to go backwards, I also don't like to sit going backwards on a train/tram. How can I get over my "backwards" block?

Bump! I really need help or otherwise I won't be able to move up a level. Is this a normal thing to be scared of going backwards?

Most of the posters here are in the USA and are sleeping as it is the middle of the night.

Give this some time.

Yes, Australia. I saw it in another thread, after I asked. That is very cool. I have never been fortunate enough to visit, but seems like an amazing and beautiful place.

Last edited:
I have been having trouble with going backwards in tumbling. I can do front skills fine, but when it comes to back bends and BHS I get scared and twist out of it, instead of going back into my bridge. Sometimes I will just refuse to do it. I have this feeling in my mind that it is illogical to go backwards, I also don't like to sit going backwards on a train/tram. How can I get over my "backwards" block?

Mental Blocks Archives - For the Love of Tumbling

Yes, Australia. I saw it in another thread, after I asked. That is very cool. I have never been fortunate enough to visit, but seems like an amazing and beautiful place.
You should definitely visit! Australia is a great and diverse place to live. We may not be as advanced as America in cheer, but my favourite part is that we have open level 1-3 as well and they are quite popular, so I can keep cheering even though I'm a slow progressor in tumbling.
Earth is pretty cool too ;)
Thanks! I will definitely check this out.

You should definitely visit! Australia is a great and diverse place to live. We may not be as advanced as America in cheer, but my favourite part is that we have open level 1-3 as well and they are quite popular, so I can keep cheering even though I'm a slow progressor in tumbling.

Earth is pretty cool too ;)

Thanks! I will definitely check this out.

I've been to Australia a few times. Sydney and Perth are beautiful in different ways. Welcome.

I've been to Australia a few times. Sydney and Perth are beautiful in different ways. Welcome.

Thankyou! I am actually in Victoria, and visit Melbourne most. I haven't been out of state much, but I want to go when I'm older and explore ☀️

How long have you been doing backwards tumbling? What skills can you do? It may be that you're pushing yourself too quickly on these skills, and without proper progressions/spotting, which can lead to fears and influence blocks. I help with the mental aspects, such as working through a fear or block, but am curious if there are physical/training reasons that the fears are occurring, or are related to why you're experiencing them.

Back