High School Bad Hs Coach.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 22, 2013
Has anyone ever dealt with a bad or unskilled high school cheerleading coach?

This isn't recent or anything, it was years ago but I guess it still really bothers me.

In high school, I had a coach who was excited I was going to try out only because I'm short. From the way she talked about me to the team members, they all said they knew I was going to "make it" before even trying out - or ever even meeting the coach. I had called the coach and talked to her a little because I was transferring high schools before I had the try out. I needed to double check the try out times, etc.

I think from the beginning, she just expected a girl who had never cheered before to be whipped up into full extended libs, full extended tick-tocks, etc...without much practice...because I'm short.

The coach was a dancer in high school, and was a "cheerleader" for an NFL team. I could be wrong, but as far as I know she never had any actual true cheerleading experience.

In the summer, she only went to about 1/3 of our summer practices.

Going into half-extensions was not so bad for me, but when we started to do full extensions - while I did them, I never was able to practice them enough to fully to feel comfortable. Since I'm pretty small, my bases were tall, but really thin girls that didn't look to be very strong. When I would get up to do my fulls, they were shaky in a combination between my nerves, and them not being strong enough to hold me up above their heads for a period of time. Honestly, it probably was more me though.

She tried to have me do single-partner fulls, which I feel is a pretty advanced stunt for a flyer who isn't very confident in even a full with two bases and a back spot. I felt like she was more eager to get "hard stunts" than she was being willing to let me truly and fully practice the full extension before going onto something else. IMO, I don't care if you've spent a month or two on fulls - if a flyer isn't ready for anything more advanced - for her safety you do not attempt it. In fact, I remember one time during practice I fell face-first onto a mat (thank the lord there was a mat) from an extended full. The coach just slammed her binder down and told everyone to take a drink and get some water. I was hurt, my face was hurt and my ankle had been sprained. My bases just stood there above me irritated, and my coach didn't even ask if I was okay. It was obvious she was irritated with me. I feel like while it can be frustrating for a coach when a flyer is "stuck" on a skill, she should of known better than to push a skill to be done through when clearly I needed more practice. I also feel the fact she didn't get after my bases, and the fact she didn't even ask if I was okay was completely negligent on her part. In all honesty, I was the only flyer who had that much trouble on that certain skill. It made me feel really inadequate regardless of the fact I was trying my best.

The following season, I was told by some girls who were younger than I that she had said "I learned a hard lesson last year. Just because your small doesn't mean you'll be a good flyer". I found this to be very hurtful and unprofessional.

When I found out she said that, it hurt me really badly. Everyone knew who she was talking about too. *sigh*

Anyways, it was years ago but it's one of those things I needed to get off my chest. I don't know if she's a cheer coach anymore, but if she is I don't think she's still coaching in my hometown. I'd hate to run into her again.

An untrained but excited and passionate coach that can't put the safety of their athletes first is very dangerous to work with. I'm glad you survived the experience. Clearly some scars still remain though. I'm sorry you went through that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I can relate to your post only for the fact that I konw a coach who does this. I am a coach myself and to see her push the LITTLE girls to more than they are ready for. It is frustrating when coaches want to be the best but forget to do the basics.

Ohhh dear!! CP's varsity coach was not a coach at all......she's a sponsor. It was her first year to do it and had NO cheer experience. She took her classes at UCA camp when the girls went and all of a sudden thought she knew it all!! She made some serious bad (and un-safe) choices!! Although I loved seeing CP on the sidelines, I'm rather glad she had to quit!!

Ohhh dear!! CP's varsity coach was not a coach at all......she's a sponsor. It was her first year to do it and had NO cheer experience. She took her classes at UCA camp when the girls went and all of a sudden thought she knew it all!! She made some serious bad (and un-safe) choices!! Although I loved seeing CP on the sidelines, I'm rather glad she had to quit!!
That is exactly what this coach did. She cheered one year in high school attending a camp, and then became an expert.

That is exactly what this coach did. She cheered one year in high school attending a camp, and then became an expert.

Please understand, I, personally, have no all-star experience nor do I coach. I am not a person to tell a coach (or teacher or the likes) how to do their job, but after spending 11 years in gyms, I have learned a thing or two.......safety being one of them!!

Exactly. It's one thing to want those more advanced stunts, but you HAVE to make sure that your athletes are ready for it. Just because some girls are able to stick it and wiggle their way to "stay", doesn't make they "have it".

Also, athletes shouldn't feel bullied into doing stunts they do not - and obviously don't feel comfortable with. It's very negligent on the coaches part. They are sacrificing their students safety on behalf of their own ego.

I actually have had a similar problem with a coach. My high school had the same varsity coach for 16 years. Our team won a variety of regional, state, and even national titles. However, due to a change in superintendents, she left the school system. She was replaced with two coaches - neither with experience but dance and gymnastics when they themselves were in high school (they are both in their 40s now). Needless to say, the team was full if drama and dangerous stunts and no stability. Now this year, we thought we were blessed with a coach who knows what she's doing. We were WRONG. Although the two inexperienced coaches let drama happen, the team pulled through. I have my doubts about this one. She previously coaches a winning middle school team and still has a middle school mentality. Our team has been small (12 girls) since before the coach of 16 years. This new coach put 20 girls on varsity! Only 5 tumble at all, and there aren't even enough uniforms for everyone! It's already a disaster. I'm sorry you went through that horrendous time and I also hope that this year for me won't include a similar experience.

Friend of mines daughter HS coach a few years ago was a fiasco. Not sure how school found it appropriate to hire a 19 yo former HS graduate to coach Varsity HS cheer squad. The average age on team was 15-18. Needless to say the team didn't respect her, as they saw her as one of them, seeing as she had just graduated the year before.

There was drama between her and the parents. Later to find out she had embezzled money from the squad. A MESS!

Our coach spent 40 mins of our hour and 15 min practice sitting the whole team in a circle as asking us questions about ourselves. Maybe this makes since for an All Star team where the athletes don't know each other but my team only has 9 girls and we have all know each other since like kindergarten! It's so annoying! And the next 20 mins was just spent running and finially we sould stunt for the last 15 mins but the hardest stunt she let us do was a load in! We didn't even do thigh stands even though all of us have done like extension libs!

Our coach spent 40 mins of our hour and 15 min practice sitting the whole team in a circle as asking us questions about ourselves. Maybe this makes since for an All Star team where the athletes don't know each other but my team only has 9 girls and we have all know each other since like kindergarten! It's so annoying! And the next 20 mins was just spent running and finially we sould stunt for the last 15 mins but the hardest stunt she let us do was a load in! We didn't even do thigh stands even though all of us have done like extension libs!

But didn't you just say in two other threads you started that half of the team is completely new to cheer? So maybe it's a good thing to start out slow? I know that it's super boring to go back and do the basics when you know you can do better, but with a new team and brand new people, it's much better to do go through progressions. Otherwise, you'll be in situation that the person who started with this thread was in. They were scared to stunt because they were just thrown in the air and expected to do things they didn't know how to do with shaky bases underneath her. It may seem easy to you, but you're experienced. Patience! I'm sure things will come together, it's only the beginning of the season!

Back