All-Star Bad Sportsmanship On The Mat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mom24girls

Cheer Parent
Nov 4, 2010
We were at a competition this past wkend and there was a lower level senior squad that had a stunt group that dropped multiple stunts. After it dropped one of the bases shoved the flyer pretty hard and made no attempt to hide it. Later when they dropped again she shoved her again. I was talking to parents from 2 other gyms at the time and none of us had ever seen that before. I'm not sure how our coaches would handle it but I'm pretty sure it would not be good for that base. Has your gym ever had this happen? How was it handled? Do judges deduct for bad sportsmanship like this? I would have loved to see their scoresheet to see if it was mentioned. The poor flyer was crying afterwards and none of the teammates or coaches did anything to comfort her.

WOW...i sure hope the coaches/owners do something and if they don't take care of it i sure would. if you are with the gym i think you are with, i met one of the owners earlier in the season and she didn't take me as the type that would let something like that go.

Awwww that makes me so upset. :( falling at a competition feels bad enough, and if your bases or team hates on you, that's even worse. :(

I just realized the way I worded it makes it sound like it was our gym. It wasn't a team from our gym it was another gym who's name I won't mention. I was just surprised because I was expecting the coaches to jack that girl up when she got off the mat but that didn't happen and noone offered the other girl any comfort.

I just realized the way I worded it makes it sound like it was our gym. It wasn't a team from our gym it was another gym who's name I won't mention. I was just surprised because I was expecting the coaches to jack that girl up when she got off the mat but that didn't happen and noone offered the other girl any comfort.

phew, i didn't think that one of your owners would go for that! which comp were you guys at this weekend?

regardless, i have never seen such a thing but this is cp's first year.

I hope the coaches said something to her in private! Thats horrible!

It happened on my daughters Mini team last year. A stunt fell and the flier stomped on the bases foot and yelled at her. I was embarrassed that someone from our gym behaved that way. Kids will behave badly, but my feeling is that a reaction
Iike that probably somewhat comes from the attitude of the coaches/owner in dealing with the team. Especially if the coaches didn't seem to acknowledge it immediately as the team came off the floor. As a coach I'd be pulling that child asside immediately!

wow, that is shocking that someone would do that to their fellow teammate, especially over a stunt. A stunt is a group effort someone could have always done something better to save it, the base should be beating herself up, not the flyer

Something similar to that happened to my daughter at practice with her former gym. Her coaches handled it immediately and I can say that it never happened again.

My cp was disturbed at a comp by how the majority of a team was just yelling at each other and cursing at each other right before going on to perform. I presume nerves were running high and perhaps warm ups had not gone well, but good grief. (They did go on to perform well - go figure.)

Back