All-Star Balancing School And Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 10, 2016
Not sure if anyone can give me an insight on this since I know every school and person is different but I made my gyms open team... And also got accepted into my first year of elementary education! I live in Canada so cheer isn't as intense but I'm still worried about balancing the two, especially since it's my first year of school. Right now cheer practices are only on Sunday nights so I know I'll be able to get all my work done and everything but mostly I'm worried about final exams and missing class for competitions/ extra practices etc. Most of our comps look like they'll be local besides one that's in Las Vegas!! I'm really excited but really nervous. Any advice at all would be appreciated!
(Side note: I cheered on a senior team last year while taking a gap year so that's why I'm worried about balancing my time since I've never done cheer and school at the same time before)

Time management is your friend. I cheered while in grad school and working full time, so a once a week practice is easy, for me. Remember that you need some active/you time. Make these 2 hours a week your down time from school, your time away for you. Make a schedule for homework if needed, which you should be able to do with your syllabus. Have fun. I hope you're going to Jamz in Vegas, cos I've always had a great time at that competition

Time management is your friend. I cheered while in grad school and working full time, so a once a week practice is easy, for me. Remember that you need some active/you time. Make these 2 hours a week your down time from school, your time away for you. Make a schedule for homework if needed, which you should be able to do with your syllabus. Have fun. I hope you're going to Jamz in Vegas, cos I've always had a great time at that competition
Thank you so much! Knowing you were able to cheer while in grad school definitely makes me less worried about it! We are going to Jamz if everything works out! :)

Thank you so much! Knowing you were able to cheer while in grad school definitely makes me less worried about it! We are going to Jamz if everything works out! :)

Jamz is a great competition. I've had so much fun at that one. Good luck this season

Staying organized is key. sticky notes and schedules were my best friends when I cheered in college. I wrote everything down and made schedules of when I was doing certain assignments.

I went to college for Education and cheered all four years as well. The #1 thing I found was that you need to make time for sleep or you'll burn out very quickly, especially once you get in your second half of your college career and have to start student teaching in addition to working/going to school/cheering. The first two years though when you're taking prereqs aren't bad, you'll just have to sacrifice a few other stereotypical college experiences (free concerts, parties, etc.). 100% worth it though, in my opinion. Also, I found that getting to know my professors and going to their office hours really helped when I knew I'd be missing for cheer, since they'd be more inclined to assist someone that they know rather than a random face in the crowd they've never interacted one-on-one with!

Back