College Club gymnastics and college cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emi

Dec 11, 2023
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at doing both club gymnastics (in the development program) and college cheer.

I have a goal of being the first hijabi gymnast on the USA gymnastics team. I'll be trying out for a new team near my college that has a reputation of training National Team members. I want to do college cheer because it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.. I mostly want to do it for fun. Any advice on balancing the two? Of course gymnastics is my first priority, but I'd love to gain some fun college experiences in cheer while I'm in college!

I'm the parent of a gymnast turned cheerleader and I honestly can't see how you could have time to do both. I have also experienced coaches who frown upon doing other sports during your competition season out of concern for injury. The two colleges where dd cheered started their season in August and ended in April and practiced or had games at least 3-4 times a week.
When she was a gymnast, she practiced 4 days a week year round and had comps on weekends from November to June. Maybe your college has less of a time commitment for cheer?

I'm the parent of a gymnast turned cheerleader and I honestly can't see how you could have time to do both. I have also experienced coaches who frown upon doing other sports during your competition season out of concern for injury. The two colleges where dd cheered started their season in August and ended in April and practiced or had games at least 3-4 times a week.
When she was a gymnast, she practiced 4 days a week year round and had comps on weekends from November to June. Maybe your college has less of a time commitment for cheer?
Agree, my daughter is now doing a college club cheer team. It is an intermediate team for fun but they practice at least 3 times a week, have to do volunteer work, fundraisers, and appearances. It is time consuming. I can't imagine trying to add it to gymnastics which would be even more time consuming.

Back