High School Base's Contact With Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 11, 2011
So I have a question partaining to bases coming in direct contact with tumblers. Because Inversions from the ground may now be transitioned into a stunt of any level, would a back handspring entry be legal? If the flyer were to do a standing handspring and simply not snap down her legs, meanwhile a base/bases will grab the legs in the handstand position and hold her there before transitioning to the next portion of the stunt, is this legal. I see nothing under inversions, partner stunts, or tumbling that says they cannot come in contact nor does it say anything about a tumbler stopping in a handstand mid handspring. Is it safe to say this is free game? Anyone actually witness this done before? I'm pretty sure this actually wans't a new addition to the rules. Just one that will go along nicely with what I have had planned

I'll definitely have to look around for that. Do you have the link? But high school specifically. I don't really need to know about getting from the inversion position to the stunt, that I know is now legal, I just need to know if bases can stop the handspring in the handstand position. Sort of making it a high school level back handspring up

So I have a question partaining to bases coming in direct contact with tumblers. Because Inversions from the ground may now be transitioned into a stunt of any level, would a back handspring entry be legal? If the flyer were to do a standing handspring and simply not snap down her legs, meanwhile a base/bases will grab the legs in the handstand position and hold her there before transitioning to the next portion of the stunt, is this legal. I see nothing under inversions, partner stunts, or tumbling that says they cannot come in contact nor does it say anything about a tumbler stopping in a handstand mid handspring. Is it safe to say this is free game? Anyone actually witness this done before? I'm pretty sure this actually wans't a new addition to the rules. Just one that will go along nicely with what I have had planned

I saw a video of a VA high school team do a bhs and bases stopped the flyer mid handspring and then flip into a load in. Not sure what rules VA follows, but as far as I know it was LEGAL for them to do. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not sure how it correlates with the new rules.

i saw a backhandspring up to a half from a cheergyms.com team, it was a level 5 team.

other than that I have noooo idea.

AcaseA ???

We did it from a rebound in this video... if that's what you're talking about. @ 1:10

As far as I know it would be legal.

G.6.
Participants may not land in a partner stunt or in a catching position from an aerial tumbling skill. (Example : A
back flip from a tumbling pass into a cradle is prohibited, however, rebounding from a back handspring into a
cradle is allowed.)

To apply this to your idea I would say the bases would need to make contact with the flyer's feet BEFORE their hands left the ground. Then it would no longer be an aerial skill. If the flyer rebounded off her hands and into the sponge/smoosh then it would be ILLEGAL.

Video it and send it in to Les Stella and you'll get a final answer but this is how I would interpret it.

We did it from a rebound in this video... if that's what you're talking about. @ 1:10

As far as I know it would be legal.

G.6.
Participants may not land in a partner stunt or in a catching position from an aerial tumbling skill. (Example : A
back flip from a tumbling pass into a cradle is prohibited, however, rebounding from a back handspring into a
cradle is allowed.)

To apply this to your idea I would say the bases would need to make contact with the flyer's feet BEFORE their hands left the ground. Then it would no longer be an aerial skill. If the flyer rebounded off her hands and into the sponge/smoosh then it would be ILLEGAL.

Video it and send it in to Les Stella and you'll get a final answer but this is how I would interpret it.

thats it! I feel like I remember seeing it straight from the hands, but it was a pretty long time ago.

the stunts at 40 seconds

I'm not an expert on rules, but if it isn't legal then we did this stunt that was pretty cool that maybe can be an alternative. It really liked the way we had it, we had two coming in towards each side of the pyramid and it was pretty visual! Here's a video, we did ours the same way but as soon as the bases had contact with the flyer's feet we started turning towards the front.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!! And I believe the Fairfax Finals video shows the closest to how I want it only in the aspect that they come into contact with the flyer before her feet hit the ground on a handspring. I legitimately want to do a high school level back handspring up. The handstand will be held for a few counts so it's not as if the handstand is a quick point. But also, the partner stunt video made me remember that many teams come into contact with front walkovers in order to get up into some sort of stunt so why not come into contact with a backhandspring?? I'm almost certain now that this is legal. I don't exactly have a video of the stunt yet so I cant send it in anywhere, the stunts all in my head currently, but if anybody at least reads this and finds something remotely illegal with it, then let me know by all means!! Thanks again guys!

I'm almost 100% sure that would be legal. You can also ask at cheerrules.com if it hasn't already been asked there.

If you mean that the tumbler does not complete the back handspring and lands in their hands instead of the floor, I believe that is illegal. That would rule in AACCA Section G. Participants may not land in a partner stunt or in a catching position from an aerial tumbling skill. (Example : A back flip from a tumbling pass into a cradle is prohibited, however, rebounding from a back handspring into a cradle is allowed.) You must rebound before entering the hands

The way I read that is only skills where your hands don't touch the ground (aerial) are illegal. So you wouldn't be able to "over-rotate" a back tuck into a cradle.

Rebounding from a backhandspring into a cradle is allowed. that means you must finish your backhandspring by snapping your legs to the ground and then you can rebound into the stunt. You cannot do a backhandspring and never snap your legs to the ground and snap them into a cradle instead.

Well according to those rules, you cannot Land in a partner stunt or a catching position (cradle and such) from an aerial skill. You're not landing in a stunt or in any sort of cradle in the stunt I'm dEscribing. More or less they're just doing a handstand with a back handspring entry. Also, if you watch those videos above, especially the front walkover into a stunt, she starts from hands on ground, bases come in contact with her, then she's flipped into a loading position. I'm sure aerial refers to no handed tumbling. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I do wanna make it clear there Is a definite stop between the handspring and the 'flipping up' portion of the stunt where the group begins to touch the flyer and it then follows partner stunt guidelines

Back