High School Basketball Cheer Vs Football Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 29, 2015
Is basketball cheer or football cheer more enjoyable to you ? Which one is cheaper? Which in your opinion is easier and doesn't require as much skill?[emoji4]

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Well typically if you cheer on your high school team then you have to cheer for both football and basketball (I know there are some teams that do separate football and basketball cheer teams though) but to answer your questions:

1). I prefer football as a sport over basketball, especially in high school. But in college now they are both equally enjoyable.

2). See first statement. I'd say they are both around the same.

3). They both require about the same amount of skills. Only real difference is in college since you are allowed to do higher pyramids for football games than those allowed at basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cp prefers football. They do not do any stunting or tumbling at basketball games with the exception of the last home game of the season. They have minimal room on the sidelines to cheer and are frequently trampled by a player running out of bounds.

I prefer football even with the huge weather fluctuations in the schedule. I enjoy watching football.

Basketball season gets long. There are 2-4 games per week. Add in practices and extra practice for things like homecoming, it just gets long. For home games, many of the boys basketball team arrives late and many of the girls team leaves early; yet, the cheerleaders get no respect because they "just stand there and cheer"--for 3+ hours while more than half of the basketball team doesn't even play…

Sorry for the rant. I am in a pissy mood.

I prefer football even with the huge weather fluctuations in the schedule. I enjoy watching football.

Basketball season gets long. There are 2-4 games per week. Add in practices and extra practice for things like homecoming, it just gets long. For home games, many of the boys basketball team arrives late and many of the girls team leaves early; yet, the cheerleaders get no respect because they "just stand there and cheer"--for 3+ hours while more than half of the basketball team doesn't even play…

We don't have homecoming for basketball. Heck we barely have homecoming for football - game yes, halftime show yes, but no dance or anything like that.

We don't have homecoming for basketball. Heck we barely have homecoming for football - game yes, halftime show yes, but no dance or anything like that.
We don't have a dance for either homecoming. Just a game and the cheerleaders perform.
I prefer football. More room for consistent crowd leading. I hate the fact that basketball cheer often involves sitting.
We have a decent size gym. Our girls don't do any sitting cheers.

I prefer football. More room for consistent crowd leading. I hate the fact that basketball cheer often involves sitting.
I think sitting is a mainly college thing. I've never seen a high school team sit at a basketball game. We do at our men's games but not our women's (college)

Spill.

I think sitting is a mainly college thing. I've never seen a high school team sit at a basketball game. We do at our men's games but not our women's (college)

Yeah, I think so. Wasn't sure whether she was asking about HS or college.

A few of the female basketball players are managers/water girls for the football team. They put up huge posters on the railings at the football game and the cheer parents couldn't see their cheerleaders. They also asked the cheerleaders to keep an eye on their signs.

Almost all the cheer parents and the cheer coaches were pissed off, but no one would do anything. My oldest/former cp and I took down two of the signs at halftime so that we could see. The managers were bitching and one of the cheer coaches went up and told them that it wasn't the cheerleaders.

I won't wait until halftime if they do it again.

They put all the signs down by us because they have a girl in their class whose mom has cancer and they wanted to make sure she could see. That was nice. They should have thought about the rest of us too.

Yeah, I think so. Wasn't sure whether she was asking about HS or college.
A few of the female basketball players are managers/water girls for the football team. They put up huge posters on the railings at the football game and the cheer parents couldn't see their cheerleaders. They also asked the cheerleaders to keep an eye on their signs.

Almost all the cheer parents and the cheer coaches were pissed off, but no one would do anything. My oldest/former cp and I took down two of the signs at halftime so that we could see. The managers were bitching and one of the cheer coaches went up and told them that it wasn't the cheerleaders.

I won't wait until halftime if they do it again.

They put all the signs down by us because they have a girl in their class whose mom has cancer and they wanted to make sure she could see. That was nice. They should have thought about the rest of us too.
That's annoying. So when did the rude comment from them enter the situation?

Last edited:
There are always rude comments. Our girls basketball team doesn't care for the cheerleaders for the most part. The feeling is, generally, mutual.
We had that issue with girls soccer when I cheered... funny thing is, this is why a lot of cheerleaders prefer to cheer for guys, because guys focus on the game and don't entertain drama.

I don't do high school cheer, but I can imagine that football would be better. More space, more fun games and more appreciation.

Back