High School Basketball Cheer Vs Football Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not necessarily.
I got the gist that basketball was less appreciated from ^
At our school, no one really appreciates the cheerleaders. This year isn't the best example of what all they can do, but it didn't really matter if they were doing the most.

Plus, we aren't allowed to have cheer boosters and neither the football nor the basketball boosters want to help out. Our football team just spent a rumored $15,000 on new uniforms. They don't want to buy a breakaway run through sign to use at away games because it would be "for the cheerleaders".

At our school, no one really appreciates the cheerleaders. This year isn't the best example of what all they can do, but it didn't really matter if they were doing the most.

Plus, we aren't allowed to have cheer boosters and neither the football nor the basketball boosters want to help out. Our football team just spent a rumored $15,000 on new uniforms. They don't want to buy a breakaway run through sign to use at away games because it would be "for the cheerleaders".
Disgusting. Why aren't you guys allowed to have boosters? Are you allowed to fundraise? And how did things get so bad for cheer at your school?

Disgusting. Why aren't you guys allowed to have boosters? Are you allowed to fundraise? And how did things get so bad for cheer at your school?
I am guessing that only sports get boosters. Band gets a physical education credit; so, they are a sport. We get to fundraise and one of our fundraisers is working at our football jamboree. We work gates and concessions and make about $500 usually.

They had a long time coach retire about five years ago and have had trouble getting/keeping coaches since then. Our school won state championships four years in a row about 10 years ago. (Not the full routine ones, but we have the banners!) They had a great program. We have a potentially great coach, but she is still learning the ropes. She loves cheer though and wants the girls to be good and respected. But, she is more the assistant this year. I hope she will be more influential next year.

I am guessing that only sports get boosters. Band gets a physical education credit; so, they are a sport. We get to fundraise and one of our fundraisers is working at our football jamboree. We work gates and concessions and make about $500 usually.

They had a long time coach retire about five years ago and have had trouble getting/keeping coaches since then. Our school won state championships four years in a row about 10 years ago. (Not the full routine ones, but we have the banners!) They had a great program. We have a potentially great coach, but she is still learning the ropes. She loves cheer though and wants the girls to be good and respected. But, she is more the assistant this year. I hope she will be more influential next year.
I hope so too, your current head coach doesn't sound competent at all. So was cheer more respected at your school when the old coach was there?

When I was in high school I preferred basketball. We have a large gym and you can actually see what is happening in the game vs. Football when the players are in the way. Coaching it's definitely basketball because I'm inside and it's easy to see my kiddos.

I hope so too, your current head coach doesn't sound competent at all. So was cheer more respected at your school when the old coach was there?

I am guessing that it was , but that was a long time ago. Our current coach is one of the teacher/moms who took over last year when our other coach quit. She has a cp on the team. She doesn't really want to be coaching. She just didn't want to throw the other coach in without any support.

I am praying that next year is better.

Back