All-Star Batc Updates !

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Think it's safe to say my udpates have stopped. They're all about UCA now.

Sorry, had to drive home tonight. Can't believe I didn't update SE after they went on. Looks like the names got posted correctly. You couldn't tell there was a fill in. F5 gets the same credit yesterday and Cheer Tyme in Small Senior came back out after an injury during the routine today. The fill in flyer did great.

I lot of great teams, many new ones I wasn't familiar with before that were really impressive.

There are pros and cons to every event producer's decision

"Best of both days" - might allow a team to risk their way into getting a bid and not be consistent, but that also means a consistent team needs to do well enough both days to defend their place against that.

Having the top 2 teams on the floor together, then announcing the winner takes away the entire "they're not being good sports" or "they're not classy" discussion away. The winners get to celebrate, 2d place team gets to learn to be gracious when they don't get first. I saw lots of 1st place teams celebrate, then turn to the second place team to tell them good job. I liked it.

I'm not a fan of the best of both day scoring. I agree with the comments about inconsistency and trying to hit skils and stunts that you really don't have an hoping it hits. You can completely bmb one day then end up in first or top of the divsion the next day if you get lucky enough to hit. I think 40/60 or 50/50 is better. It plays better to me for being consistent. Wasn't a fan of the awards either. It made the waiting for whoever won each divsion way too long and really kinda made anyone in 3rd place or lower seem like there perfomance didn't matter so much. 3rd out of say14- 15 teams isn't any small accomplishment . There was some really tough competition in many of the divsions so ...idk it seemed like these teams were just sorta brushed aside in a way.

I hate the "best score of either day" thing personally, but depending on how each team does, sometimes you have no clue what's going to happen at awards.

I'm very against "best score of either day". It was sometimes difficult to try to compare the Day 2 performances to the Day 1 ones. For some divisions, I was trying to remember, "Should the best team of Day 2 beat the best team of Day 1? Was the 3rd best team of Day 1 better than the 2nd best team of Day 2"? I couldn't always keep it straight, and wondered if the judges could either.

In this day and age when some event producers are splitting divisions to limit the number of teams that are judged against each other at one time, it's strange that this competition would attempt to judge routines against each other that occurred on separate days. Even teams who do the exact same performance on both days will not score exactly the same for it, so we shouldn't really be comparing scores of one day to another. Day 2 scores tended to escalate a bit, so anyone who's Day 1 score was better way probably at a slight disadvantage. Allowing both scores to count rather than attempting to compare them seems much more sensible to me.

As for the awards ceremony... I like the top 2 getting special recognition and their own little moment, but I would do that right away rather than waiting until the end... That way, 3rd place and lower doesn't feel like the announcer "just had to get their placements out of the way first", and 2nd place will feel they "won 2nd" rather than "lost 1st".

I'm very against "best score of either day". It was sometimes difficult to try to compare the Day 2 performances to the Day 1 ones. For some divisions, I was trying to remember, "Should the best team of Day 2 beat the best team of Day 1? Was the 3rd best team of Day 1 better than the 2nd best team of Day 2"? I couldn't always keep it straight, and wondered if the judges could either.

In this day and age when some event producers are splitting divisions to limit the number of teams that are judged against each other at one time, it's strange that this competition would attempt to judge routines against each other that occurred on separate days. Even teams who do the exact same performance on both days will not score exactly the same for it, so we shouldn't really be comparing scores of one day to another. Day 2 scores tended to escalate a bit, so anyone who's Day 1 score was better way probably at a slight disadvantage. Allowing both scores to count rather than attempting to compare them seems much more sensible to me.

As for the awards ceremony... I like the top 2 getting special recognition and their own little moment, but I would do that right away rather than waiting until the end... That way, 3rd place and lower doesn't feel like the announcer "just had to get their placements out of the way first", and 2nd place will feel they "won 2nd" rather than "lost 1st".
I 100% agree that using the "best score of either day" system isn't what it cracks itself up to be. I also agree that it is so difficult to attempt to judge routines that scored on separate days. Teams that scored well on day 1 but not as well on day 2 seemed to drop more than teams that scored lower on Saturday and performed better on Sunday. ( Does that make sense?) I think scores tend to be higher on Sunday in general, so if Saturday was your better day, you were at a disadvantage in comparison to teams that had their better performance on Sunday. I believe a 50/50 split should always be the final scoring tabulations. Why should one day be worth more than the other? Does baseball or basketball give more weight to the games at the end of the season or are all weighted equally?

new2level5 said:
Thanks SharkDad for the Tweets! It made me feel like I was in the arena! Thanks again!

I second this. Thanks for keeping us updated. We'll even forgive you for not posting after SE! ;)

Thanks SharkDad for the Tweets! It made me feel like I was in the arena! Thanks again!

Happy it was helpful. It was my first comp updating and I only got a twitter account last week.

I second this. Thanks for keeping us updated. We'll even forgive you for not posting after SE! ;)

Sorry about SE, there was a lot of excitement after they got done, especially with the injury. I heard she went right to the hospital. No update yet. Plus I was trying to hit the road.

SharkDad said:
Happy it was helpful. It was my first comp updating and I only got a twitter account last week.

Sorry about SE, there was a lot of excitement after they got done, especially with the injury. I heard she went right to the hospital. No update yet. Plus I was trying to hit the road.

Figured as much. Who could blame you? ;) For your first week with Twitter, you did a great job with updates and it was greatly appreciated!

Back