Beating School Cheer Politics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 15, 2015
Hi all, happy to be a part of the forums! I was looking for suggestions on beating favoritism and cheer politics in a small school when it comes to tryouts and who was chosen for the squad.

Long story short, we are new to a small town and my 6th grader has years of cheer experience, she isn't perfect by any means but is very good. I attended practices and saw the girls she was up against. There were definitely a few great cheerleaders, only 2 who could tumble and then lots of girls who had never cheered before and it was obvious. There was a mandatory meeting for parents and kids, we were told if you didn't come, you couldn't try out. Multiple teachers whose daughters were trying out didn't come, but an exception was made for them although work was not what kept them from attending. these teachers kids were still able to try out, and broke the uniform rules on tryout day... still tried out, still made the team. Tryouts were closed and student body does not vote, it's 75% judge and 25% teacher recommendation.

This was my first dose of small town cheer politics. I'm not by any means saying my kid is the best, but she followed all the rules and had far more skill and experience than 4 girls in particular who made the squad, broke rules and are teachers children. I'm the first person to give credit where credit is due... my child has tried out for volleyball and didn't make it, I didn't even question it bc she isn't the greatest at volleyball... but she is at cheer and we've put so much time and money into her developing this passion.... to be denied for middle school cheer? Very frustrating.

I know there is nothing that will change the outcome. But I would love suggestions or personal experiences on this and how you handled it? My goal is to ensure that this doesn't continue in the future.

TIA for any response!! :)

Is moving an option? Only partially joking. My girls have had similar experiences at our former school. Oldest didn't make it the first two years that she tried out. She did make it for high school and cheered two years there.

Younger one didn't make it the first year (6th grade), but she did her second year. The next year (8th grade), she made it too. After about a month, the team voted and she was selected as co-captain. Then, the trouble really started. The captain and her bff started bullying and got it to where no one in their entire grade would speak to my daughter. I went to the coach (who was contributing to the bad situation). That was obviously a total bust. I went to the principal. That went okay at first, but after continued discussions I could tell it was not going well for us. The final straw was when the principal told me that I needed to stop living through my child. The entire situation is because the captain's mom does exactly this. Susie and her mom live in our town.

I had already spoken to the superintendent of the next closest district about what it would take to go there when I had my last conversation with the principal. My girls switched schools at winter break. I had tried to talk to our district, but the superintendent (used to be the principal) and he only cares about bullying if it is a girls' basketball or a really good football player being bullied.

They both made the high school cheer team a year ago at the new school. The middle school team had the coach's daughter not make the team. So, they are such a different atmosphere. It is a larger town, bigger school. My girls are thriving there.

My girls have taken tumbling once a week for a few years, but never have done allstar. The girls that bullied my younger cp do allstar at our former tumbling gym. Yeah, we ended up switching gyms too…

I am on my phone. I might edit for clarity and typos when I get home.

Mine did not make it either but made high school where tumbling counted. Welcome to school sports - big or small school doesn't seem to matter. The only thing I will say is it freed up my daughters time to focus on allstar

Mine did not make it either but made high school where tumbling counted. Welcome to school sports - big or small school doesn't seem to matter. The only thing I will say is it freed up my daughters time to focus on allstar

I've not yet had a school cheerleader, but, YES, welcome to school sports. Often times the team is chosen mentally before tryouts. My kids have been the recipient of that good fortune, and the victim at times. :(

Eta: I was never really aware of it happening, for the record, until I had a child who was a favorite.

What I don't understand is why people cling to favoritism, even if it means not picking skilled kids.

My kids only play baseball. So, there's room for favoritism, to a point. But, I've seen kids basically be told they're on the team long before tryouts. I think it's more of a case of new kids being left out...unless they are VERY obviously highly skilled.

I deleted part of that, bc the Internet is a small world. ;)

Last edited:
Or because so-n-so's dad is president of the booster club. Saw a senior this year shut out of a varsity sport after three years of playing - for a freshman. No senior night for this girl who devoted herself to the sport.

Well freshman got mono - barely played so they had to bring up a JV girl. I now hear the freshman is quitting the sport.

Thing is coach could have taken the senior as an extra player - so just don't get it.

This is seen across so many youth and school sports, it really is sad.
We saw one of non-cp's friends not make any travel soccer team a few seasons ago because the dad had an issue with the league when his daughters played 7-10 years earlier. Poor kid was crushed. He should have made B, even possibly the A team.

@SMML Do you live in Texas? Is hiring someone to *cough* help you out an option? :D

Two things...
All Star experience can and does often negatively impact your chances of making sideline team. They think "oh she thinks she's better than us" (heard it!) Also, sideline truly is a different ball of wax. It's about motions and spirit and I can't even begin to tell you how many all stars don't make it. Its a totally different "sport"
Politics...big or small school...cheer...football...soccer...tennis... Politics and kids activities are a fact of life.

Our former school was very much a "who you know" situation rather than skill. And, once you were on the team, you didn't really have to fight for your spot. You made it year after year and sometimes automatically without even having to try out.

Our new high school had a senior who had cheered every year since 6th grade not make the team. She was beyond disappointed. It was more her attitude and mistakes that kept her off--not wearing the right bow or completely forgetting, wrong uniform, late, that sort of thing.

The middle school try-outs not only resulted in the coach's cp not making it but also another girl from a prominent family.

I would keep practicing for next year working on game day skills--be loud and clear with sharp, tight, proper motions.

While I can't speak for your particular situation, I can speak from a participant, judges, and coach's standpoint. I was kept off my cheer team my 8th grade year because of a horrible (and outright ridiculous) teacher evaluation (insight, the teacher who gave me the horrible evaluation had her daughter trying out as well). It came down to politics unfortunately. As a judge, I've seen highly skilled participants not make the team due to teacher/coach evaluations. As a coach, I've given some of those horrible evaluations and have seen some horrible teacher evaluations which did keep some girls off the team. In the end, it shouldn't be about whether you are new to town, new to cheer, or highly experienced, but skill is only half of what a coach looks for. Again, not saying that your daughter has a bad attitude or demonstrated any undesirable traits, but in my coaching situation I've seen it all. I had a girl who had never cheered before in her life tell me I was doing motions wrong, argue with my outgoing seniors, and even roll her eyes at the judges. Sometimes the most skilled aren't always the best team players, likewise sometimes the most skilled are the best team players.
Here's my advice, talk to the coach. Ask her if there was a problem at tryouts that kept your daughter off the team. Remember, a coach is not suppose to talk about any other participants but your own daughter to you so try and keep it more about finding out why your daughter didn't make it. Explain why you were shocked as she's had experience with cheer. It might simply be that what they were scoring on wasn't your daughter's best skills. It's so hard to know since every school has a different set of criteria. I hope you find the answers or at least gain some closer on this. Please don't think that all small town cheer teams play favorites, there are many of us that have amazing programs.

so hooking on @MHSCheercoach suggestion for feedback I would encourage this. This is how I coached my daughter to handle it...I suggested she ask the teacher/coaches for feedback on what they thought she should work on for next year. 1 - this is a good life lesson for them to seek out the feedback. And 2 - I think it will lessen the focus to the coaches on why I did not make it - which could put them on them defensive. Good luck.

I don't know if it's the same in your school, but our middle schools don't compete, and in tryouts they don't tumble or stunt...which leaves motions, jumps, and crowd-leading.

The motions that are needed in school cheer are different than in all star. And the facials, energy and attitude conveyed in an all star performance are different than what is needed to lead a crowd. All star is more "look at me" and "Cheer for me" vs. school cheer which is more "join me in cheering for the team".

I obviously don't know your daughter's skills, but it could very well be that they are not the skills the coach is looking for. School cheer and All star cheer are two different things - some skills overlap, but not all.

Of course, it's possible that it was all politics...in which case, you got a lot of good advice above!

Small town politics really bite big burritos! Growing up in a small town myself, totally BTDT and have the t-shirt hanging in a closet.

Back