All-Star Becoming A Coach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2013
I have seen a lot of threads and posts from people wanting to become an allstar or high school cheer coach and not knowing where to start. There are so many ways to go about it, so I thought it might be a good idea if people could post just how they managed to get into coaching.

For example, I started as a volunteer coach at my allstar gym when I was an athlete. By getting the experience, I soon got a paying job there and have now had 4 coaching jobs- 3 at allstar gyms and a high school team. I definitely recommend starting young and offering to just volunteer at first.

My gosh, I started back in 1983, as a volunteer High School/ Junior High, and Rec team Coach, I went to my first Cheer Camp in Marietta, Ohio the company known today as COA, was called All American back then, and I learned how to cheer/motions, stunts, etc... I already could tumble, so I was learning right along with my kids... I had many Great experiences for those first 14 years, traveling to Nationals, states, Regionals, etc Winning titles all over the place! I then started Instructing Camps for ECA/ Americheer, Cheersport and finally Cheer LTD, where I met many of the All star gyms that I worked for currently work for. I have been an Allstar Coach up and down the East Coast: WV, OH, PA, NJ, NC (x) 2, where I currently live. And feel so very Blessed to have had the opportunities and experiences that I have been able to do with Cheerleading!!! I have had the USASF Coaching Credentials since they started offering them, I am a Certified Judge, have Choreographed all over the country, I have been to every Major National in the Country, and the smaller competitions as well, and have had teams at Worlds every year since "07"... Now that I am in my 30th season as a Coach, I don't have any plans on Retiring yet! I will be the coach in the Wheelchair, or a Walker still coaching!!! It is my passion, and it is what I do..!!!! Good Luck to any and everyone who wants to walk down this road as well!!! Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fro:

I started out 8 yrs ago volunteering for my daughter's allstar team. I did my homework and tons of research, but I learned more about coaching just working with the girls. Now after 6 years with that gym, myself and another coach started our own gym. We are now going on our 3rd season and growing.

I started out volunteering with my daughters team, the cheer portion of the gym was new and as they expanded I was able to help out. Lots of research and questions as I went along and it was fun learning with my CP who started when she was young. Had some great coaches willing to teach me as well as the girls. It did help that I had a background coaching other sports before cheer.

Our gym owner has a great program though where athletes are encouraged to take on CiT (Coach in Training) roles with younger teams under the guidance of experienced coaches. Some are identified and approached by coaches, others express and interest and volunteer. Not only do we develop coaches as we go, but the girls that are involved get a much better idea as to how the scoring works and why coaches are doing the things they are doing in practice. We now have three lead coaches and three secondary coaches that came through this program.

I worked in the office at my former gym, and they needed someone to cover some camps. That was my very first experience. Then my old high school coach needed an assistant when her new one took a new job and couldn't commit to the hours. I worked under her for one season, then became the JV coach the next year.

Back