Becoming A College Cheerleader

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by Katelyn Flyer, May 24, 2018.

1. Katelyn Flyer

Katelyn Flyer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thanks! I really don’t want to do it for status or popularity. I want to do it because I love the experiences cheering at games and the feeling of being part of a close team and I just love tumbling and stunting too. I agree though it might just be time for me to move on and I can probably just join a sorority or something in college.

2. ScottyB

ScottyB I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    You could find a tight knit group of friends from cheer too. My close friends from the team (guys and girls) do a yearly trip together (and now with our spouses) all these years later.

Try both, you don't have to do em forever! College is a great chance to discover new things while on your own journey

3. cfwp.cheerleader

cfwp.cheerleader Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Sorry - I really don't want you to give up on cheer entirely if that is what you truly want. Again, it is really hard to read tone and intent behind message board posts sometimes. I am just trying to express different points of view.

Like @ScottyB said - Going away to school really is about discovering yourself and what you love. Don't let myself or anyone tell you what you can and can't do. We are simply just providing advice based on our experiences and the situations you have presented. Cheer, sorority, or otherwise - try one, try them all, you will know what feels right.

Good luck.

4. DonnaM

DonnaM I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This probably won’t help you since you want SEC, but I’ve been looking at Canadian universities for a student who has a major interest more available there, and in checking cheer teams just out of curiosity, it looks like a lot more of those schools compete regionally and tend to be very flexible in skills-as in “most cheerleaders selected will have a back handspring or back tuck, but this is not a set requirement”. Admission is pretty much all grades/test scores, and tuition is reasonable. It seems like it might be a nice option for those with level 2-3 skills and high stats.

5. Kentucky Girl

Kentucky Girl I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Well, there is the University of Western Ontario located in London, Ontario, Canada. The Mustangs have dominated the Canadian University Cheerleading championships for many years and have also competed at the NCA College Nationals in the past.

6. Katelyn Flyer

Katelyn Flyer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thanks! I’ll look into it but at this point I have a general idea of my college list, and I’m not really sure how I’d feel about going to college outside of the US.

7. DonnaM

DonnaM I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Since ypu’re going into education, you really need to get your degree where you want to teach. Usually states accept licensing from neighboring states, but going farther away can lead to needing to take extra classes or tests to clear your credentials, so that’s something you kind of need to have an idea of (says the person who finished a grad degree in Education one week in TX, and then moved to TN the next-no reciprocity there!).

8. cheer9497

cheer9497 I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be) National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    kathysagehorn
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    my oldest cheered 4 yrs at Purdue -- pm me if I can help