High School Becoming A Leader (captain)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 2, 2011
There is 6 juniors who will be seniors on our team next year. Our coach is looking to choose two captains. We all have different personalities and different skills physically cheering and our actions. I want to prove to my coach that I have the ability to be a leader for this team. I have been going out of my way to try to think of things to do to help the team I volunteer for everything she needs help with and I think I have proved that the team respects me over the past three years. What can I do (ASAP) to get her to know I should be one of the leaders? I've worked too hard for four years to not be one. I do think she may pick me but I want to have a good chance.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Have you told her you are interested in being a captain? Always ask for what you want at a minimum. This opens dialog and opportunity for her to offer suggestions on how to make that happen. If the team respects you and listens to you then it should already be obvious. Remember you don't need the title to be a leader. Help others, make sure they listen to the coach and help bring order to practice. Your leadership skills will shine!

As a coach, when i look for who to pick as captain, i have a few chriteria.(spellcheck?:s )
- attendance. needs to be there Every practise.
- attitude, ofcourse. Needs to always be positive and encouraging.
- Needs to be someone who the team feel They can talk to about things They may not feel comfortable Talking direktör to me about.
- someone i can depend on to run warmups etc and keep an extra eye on the team at Comps.

Ultimately, someone Who is a Rolemodel for the rest of the team. If you were a Coach, how Would you want your athletes to behöver? Be THAT athletes.

Im sorry, but i Can't think of some major Quick thing to do. Hope this Was helpfull

Well never give attitude to anyone. Don't talk between cheers.

Get your cheers down perfectly and go out of your way to help other girls having trouble.

Get your scorpion needle and split in every direction.

Text the other girls and make sure they know when practices are, hairstyles for he games, which bow is being worn.

Tell the coach you want the position.

Always have all of your gear and be the girl they go to when they have questions because you know what you're doing and what's going on.

Always get to practice on time.

Lol these are all really great things you can do.

Practice practice practice....

If you have been a member of the team for 3 years, your actions have spoken for you. It's great to show interest, but the best leaders I've cheered with are silent leaders. They lead by following directions, staying out of trouble, and being a team player. As long as you keep putting your heart & soul into the program, you should be fine! Actions always speak louder than words.

Good luck!

Trust me, she's already noticed if you truly are a good leader.
In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing. Always be respectful and helpful to your teammates, especially to the new girls. Definitely go out of your way to help the coach and the team, but don't be a kiss-up. It's a personal pet peeve when girls do that :p

I hope you earn the captain spot, but if not, there's probably a good reason behind it (and it doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person or cheerleader). You can still be a leader to your team this season, whether you have the "captain" title or not :)

Back