All-Star Being Aware Of Other Athlete's Feelings At Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2010
First let me say that EVERYONE is entitled to his/ her opinion, but when we are all in such close proximity during competitions, maybe you should look around you before you say something negative about a team who may be sitting right next to you. No need to name any gyms, but a group of older international senior open athletes were talking about one of our teams. One guy was saying how great our tram was, and one girl objected ... Strongly and loudly.One girl was being quite disrespectful. I was about 2 seats away with my team tshirt on. At one point, I turned and said, "that's not very nice." she looked shocked butdint't say anything. When they left, one of the boys on the team turned to me and said sorry for her. I just smiled at him and said, I would like to thank you, too for being a gentleman. Please be aware of the person sitting next to you. Good sportsmanship doesn't end in the arena.

Oh, I agree 100%! I experienced this type of situation just yesterday while at a competition. Didn't realize it at first, but... I was standing right next to a mom from a different gym while she was bashing my gym's teams, coaches, and on top of that specific/individual cheerleaders! I wasn't wearing a team/gym shirt, though. But I think it just further proves your point... You never know who's around, try to show respect no matter what your opinions may be (positive or negative). A lot of times these are kids! And I personally think they work hard, too hard to be put down by insensitive comments.

I was sitting with my gym shirt on, a couple of weeks ago, at a completion in front of a group of adults from another gym and they proceeded in very loud voices to make insulting comments about our gym. Some things they said where complete untruths and some opinion, which they are entitled to. The point was obviously to get me going but as aggravating as it was to listen to, I wanted to concentrate on the competition; it is hard to take them seriously when they were being so childish. The funny thing is our cheerleaders where spending time together all day and never had a problem. Parents and coaches and kids would be doing their children and their gym/team a favor if we all left the competition on the floor and respected the athletes no matter what uniform they were wearing. It only hurts the kids. When you get home you will have plenty of time to share your thoughts. Another point would be to think a little more before sharing those thoughts on facebook.

I agree! The times I've seen people trash talking other teams is when they got beat by that team so it just makes you look like a sore loser. & even if you beat them, it still makes you look bad. Classy is the way to go!

And whatever you do- DON'T facebook message someone about it, because the person in the bashed team could be sitting right next to the reciever, reading everything that you write.

Just think. Unless they have been OBVIOUSLY disrespectful to you, there is no need to talk about teams you know nothing about. You don't know what's going on inside the gym. So think.

And whatever you do- DON'T facebook message someone about it, because the person in the bashed team could be sitting right next to the reciever, reading everything that you write.

Just think. Unless they have been OBVIOUSLY disrespectful to you, there is no need to talk about teams you know nothing about. You don't know what's going on inside the gym. So think.

Agreed. Never ever ever ever put anything in writing that you wouldn't want people to read...that's just askin' for trouble!

I like what someone said in another thread...save the rude stuff for "car talk".

this is what my mom always told me. cheer comps can bring up a lot of emotions- disappointment, anger, sadness etc. but she always says "don't say anything bad here, you can vent about it on the car ride home."

And WHEN you vent ... vent about your own performance. It is all that you can control anyway. (Not saying anything that we don't already know.)

Back