All-Star Being Competition Ready

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 16, 2014
I searched the forums but couldn't find this topic....

How to you deal with parents that don't arrive to a comp with their child competition ready? No makeup, the wrong makeup, hair a hot mess and not up to standard. This is more for youth teams as they typically can't do it on their own yet. This past weekend several parents spent an hour doing/redoing hair and makeup for half the team. Most of them didn't have the appropriate colors so we had to dip in to our product. Didn't even show up with hairspray. Seriously - why do you do Allstar cheer if you don't want to play by the rules?

In our years of All Star ...the prep has always been a "village" effort. Some moms are makeup gurus, some hair whizzes... Like give me two curling irons and I will go to work...but don't get near me with false lashes!

Those mornings are some of my best memories of bonding with kids and moms alike.

We always show up extra early. They are dressed and their make up is done. Unfortunately, I am awful at fixing hair. I try to find someone to help, but that doesn't always work. Many times their hair isn't ready. I really dislike it because I feel it stresses my girls out.

Last edited:
In our years of All Star ...the prep has always been a "village" effort. Some moms are makeup gurus, some hair whizzes... Like give me two curling irons and I will go to work...but don't get near me with false lashes!

Those mornings are some of my best memories of bonding with kids and moms alike.

I read this and then immediately saw this picture of Erin Andrews on my Twitter feed. So, I basically picture you as this now..,

Like in your kitchen? lol

I read this and then immediately saw this picture of Erin Andrews on my Twitter feed. So, I basically picture you as this now..,

Just make the hair brunette and it is her!

I was speaking this weekend with the mom of a girl on my sister's team who moved from gym out west. She said they were very strict on hair regulations and had a couple coaches who could do it properly who hung out in the meeting space on competition day. If a girl's hair (or make up, probably) was done incorrectly or not done at all by their meeting time, they pulled them out and redid it for them and charged the parent's account. No clue how much, probably not a lot. But I'm sure one time was enough for people to figure it out. They did offer extensive training at the beginning of the year as well as step by step instruction videos and handouts for reference.

That's always been my experience: everyone helping out with what they're good at. There's only been twice where there were problems. In the first situation the athlete lived with her grandparents who had no idea about all-stars so the "cheer family" was glad to help; the second situation was not the same situation at all. There was an athlete (and her parents) who was constantly late and NEVER competition ready. The coach gave her two warnings, told her to show up either early and get ready, or show up on time and be ready. She kept being late and not ready. He had her sit out of the next competition. I know that seems drastic, but the gym, team, and other parents agreed because for the first instance we were already prepping a fill-in because she showed up so late. And mainly they didn't seem sorry or concerned about it. (She was released from the team soon after all that.)
It's all up to the coach. Usually other parents don't mind helping if they see the athlete/family trying to do the right thing. (My mom was not good at any cheer stuff, but she was one great at taking orders and making breakfast/coffee/supply runs!! I always got myself ready though.)

I was speaking this weekend with the mom of a girl on my sister's team who moved from gym out west. She said they were very strict on hair regulations and had a couple coaches who could do it properly who hung out in the meeting space on competition day. If a girl's hair (or make up, probably) was done incorrectly or not done at all by their meeting time, they pulled them out and redid it for them and charged the parent's account. No clue how much, probably not a lot. But I'm sure one time was enough for people to figure it out. They did offer extensive training at the beginning of the year as well as step by step instruction videos and handouts for reference.

Now that is hard core! I guess what really gets my goat is when they show up with nothing. No makeup, wrong makeup, no hairspray, no teasing brush, hair barely brushed - it's just a little much. I am all for jumping in and helping and the whole village concept - but it really bothers me when others don't even try to meet you half way.

I searched the forums but couldn't find this topic....

How to you deal with parents that don't arrive to a comp with their child competition ready? No makeup, the wrong makeup, hair a hot mess and not up to standard. This is more for youth teams as they typically can't do it on their own yet. This past weekend several parents spent an hour doing/redoing hair and makeup for half the team. Most of them didn't have the appropriate colors so we had to dip in to our product. Didn't even show up with hairspray. Seriously - why do you do Allstar cheer if you don't want to play by the rules?
Some parents just have no clue and I certainly don't expect dads to do it when mom is out of town. ;)I ask them to arrive an hour earlier than check it time and ask certain kids/moms to help out with hair and makeup. A group effort and it gets done. We have quite a few this year too.

Now that is hard core! I guess what really gets my goat is when they show up with nothing. No makeup, wrong makeup, no hairspray, no teasing brush, hair barely brushed - it's just a little much. I am all for jumping in and helping and the whole village concept - but it really bothers me when others don't even try to meet you half way.
They could at least be honest and say "hey I am clueless with this hair and makeup and I need help!" That will get more respect instead of getting side eye!

With my old team I used to get ready when I got there as I got there so early and and plenty of time and I sometimes struggle with hair and make up only recently learning how to do it myself and when im bored practising.

My new team do everything on the bus and everyone helps one another before comp our coach gives us a list of vitals but most have spares just in case

My sisters team is very good with helping each other out. She is 13 and can do her own makeup very well but struggles with her poof and pony since her hair is so thick. There are a few parents who can do it really well so either my mom and her will dedicate a good hour and struggle through it or they will schedule time with another parent who can usually knock it out in about 20 minutes. All before meeting time, of course.

Back