All-Star Best Marketing Idea To Get Boys Into The Gym Early!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ACEDAD

Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive".
Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Saw this on a gym group Facebook post.

The gym couldn't get boys ages 3-6 into their preschool cheer class. So they rebranded it as "Come learn to soar, jump and tumble like a Superhero!"

The next session had dozens of boys! What dad would keep his son from superhero class?

Just brilliant!

Great job Desi Scianno, the owner of DVE Cheer in West Palm Beach, FL.

The Fierce Board: It's probably part of the First Amendment...

I know a program that was able to get a ton of junior aged boys just by asking the 1 or 2 boys they already had to invite all their school friends to open gym to learn how to tumble. Did a contest throughout the gym to see which athlete could get the most of their friends to come try a practice. A small gym of less than 40 athletes and about 8 of them boys...not too bad if you ask me.

I know a program that was able to get a ton of junior aged boys just by asking the 1 or 2 boys they already had to invite all their school friends to open gym to learn how to tumble. Did a contest throughout the gym to see which athlete could get the most of their friends to come try a practice. A small gym of less than 40 athletes and about 8 of them boys...not too bad if you ask me.
Is it possible to function with a gym so small? What levels do they offer? A program of that size sounds like it would be relatively easy to manage, but IDK.

My old gym had a boys conditioning class. My brothers took it but it didn't really bring any interest to cheer.. My current gym has about 40 athletes and 2 boys - both have sisters who have cheered forever.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Is it possible to function with a gym so small? What levels do they offer? A program of that size sounds like it would be relatively easy to manage, but IDK.

You have to take the word "gym" to mean a program. While I don't see it being impossible to have your own facility with 40 kids based on where you are, and what your facility consists of it would be very hard. But a small program consisting of less then 40 kids can fully operate out of a gymnastics facility, or by subleasing from another type of facility. I know some programs get their start in gymnasiums of churches and the like.

You have to take the word "gym" to mean a program. While I don't see it being impossible to have your own facility with 40 kids based on where you are, and what your facility consists of it would be very hard. But a small program consisting of less then 40 kids can fully operate out of a gymnastics facility, or by subleasing from another type of facility. I know some programs get their start in gymnasiums of churches and the like.
That's genius!

Yes "Small Gym" as in USASF's definition of less than 75 athletes. You'd be surprised how many gyms or "programs" are out there that only have that many athletes, and practice out of church gyms, gymnastics centers, schools, YMCA's, etc.
Our gym leased floor space for 14 years at a gymnastics center and has been very successful as a small gym. We just recently moved into our own building. It was a great idea as most of the gymnasts that were burnt out from 30+ hours of practice, but still wanted to use their skills, just moved floors and joined our all-star gym. In fact, that is how we learned of all-star cheer since my 2 CPs were taking gymnastics classes there.

Our gym is decent sized but just never really attracted boys that I'm aware of! Lol just a bunch of male coaches.

Two seasons ago when we got here they had 0 boys.

Last season we had 3 boys all young boys on our show team we called them Show-Ed!

This season we have those same 3 but one moved up to youth 1, then we came up with 4 more boys to join our level 5. So now we have 7[emoji2] finally! Of the new boys I believe one girl on our level 5 got 3 of them to come by herself but it's really really far for them but she convinced them! Hopefully this coed team really helps attract more in the future!

old gym less then 100 kids and we had a bunch of boys but most of them came from the coed college team because the owner of the gym and the coach of the college team are married and they practiced at the cheer gym. They basically all were super seniors. I love this idea mentioned in this thread! Hope to see some more boys!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to get them interested, id advertise tumbling classes to young boys as "street ninja" skills, and then maybe throw in some parkour and non-conventional tumbling tricking skills thrown in there to keep em interested.

i remember signing up for karate as an 8-year-old at the city program and seeing "tumbling" as another class, and i remember thinking "big wow, kids rolling around on the ground and doing cart-wheels. why would anyone sign up for that? thats sounds boring." now, i see level 5 tumbling and i get depressed (lol... :() cause ill never know what it feels like to tumble.

Most of the boys at my gym are preschool aged and it was their parent's choice to put them in a class or have them cheer. But my gym's color is hot pink. Everything is pink. Our tumbletrak, walls, uniforms, website, practice outfits, etc. Maybe that's a part of the reason?

This is a great marketing idea!

My son (almost 8) is in 4th season of cheer. The only reason he got into cheer was from watching his older sister and already being at the gym. I am not sure that I would have signed him up if I was a parent of just boys. It probably would have never crossed my mind.

I really wish we had more boys at the younger levels at our gym. My son has always been the only boy on his team.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We live in Atlanta, but there are several local spring, summer, fall festivals that a gym could sign up for a stage presentation. The local big Karate gym is always there, several dance studios, etc. Also, go to elementary schools and ask if they do a PTA fundraiser carnival, that same local big Karate gym was always at ours. Ask local PE teachers if you can give a small presentation, then bring in the senior boys, and afterward, hand out a brochure for a free tumble class. Once you have a couple boys, encourage them to bring a friend for a free tumble class.
You need to go places the parents will see what's going on, as well. The majority of the public still has no idea what goes on in an AS gym.

Back