All-Star Best Way To Relieve My Wrist Pain?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 11, 2012
I always stretch my wrists before practice. As we continue tumbling and stunting, they start to hurt and feel limp/weak. I keep going, and then they feel tight. Should I get braces, tape them, or what?

If you do use a brace, don't use it for a long period of time. It will only make them weaker! I would say just work through the pain, if it's killing you then go to the doctor. They gave me inflammation medicine which helped and I rested it with a brace for a bout a week and a half, but when I was cleared I stopped using my smaller brace (that I usually wore every practice/game) and I definitely got stronger. This is just from my experience though!

If you do use a brace, don't use it for a long period of time. It will only make them weaker! I would say just work through the pain, if it's killing you then go to the doctor. They gave me inflammation medicine which helped and I rested it with a brace for a bout a week and a half, but when I was cleared I stopped using my smaller brace (that I usually wore every practice/game) and I definitely got stronger. This is just from my experience though!

I mean, it's not killing me by any means. I just fear that it'll create problems in the future.

After I broke my wrist, a lot of things "bothered" it no matter how much I stretched it. Physical therapy is honestly what helped the most over any braces and taping. There's a lot of simple at home physical therapy wrist exercises you can do. The more you strengthen it, the quicker the pain will start to fade.

After I broke my wrist, a lot of things "bothered" it no matter how much I stretched it. Physical therapy is honestly what helped the most over any braces and taping. There's a lot of simple at home physical therapy wrist exercises you can do. The more you strengthen it, the quicker the pain will start to fade.

That's something I'll try, for sure. Do you know any links to sites that can tell me what to do as far as the physical therapy exercises go?

if you have no previous injuries to the wrist hurting, I would say push through it. Everyone, usually, goes through the wrist pain. It will fade away when your body becomes use to it, and builds strength where needed. 100% agree with the post about wearing braces or taping your wrist. It will just delay the time it takes for your wrist to ' get use to' or 'build strength' . Best of luck to you and your wrist though!

Wrist pain in stunting usually means that your pushing with your wrists/hands intstead of your back. Make sure your using your back and legs more, and some of the pain will hopefully subside.

That's something I'll try, for sure. Do you know any links to sites that can tell me what to do as far as the physical therapy exercises go?
I can let you know a few I do. They might sound silly but they work. Stick your hand in a container of rice and roll your wrist in circles, the rice gives you something to push against. Take some sort of clay, play dough, etc. and roll it flat. Using only your wrist keep folding it until it's too thick to fold and repeat. Take a resistance band or long elastic and stick your arm out straight with your wrist straight up and put the resistance band around it and try to push forward. Take light weights (like 2 pounds) and do wrist curls. Those are a few, if I think of more, I'll let you know.

I'd definitely go to a doctor. For over a year I thought my wrist pains just kinda went along with tumbling, and then the doctors told me they won't stop hurting until I have surgery, turns out it's some problem that will 'cause me HUGE issues in the future if they don't get operated on. Nothing stops the pain for me really

I can let you know a few I do. They might sound silly but they work. Stick your hand in a container of rice and roll your wrist in circles, the rice gives you something to push against. Take some sort of clay, play dough, etc. and roll it flat. Using only your wrist keep folding it until it's too thick to fold and repeat. Take a resistance band or long elastic and stick your arm out straight with your wrist straight up and put the resistance band around it and try to push forward. Take light weights (like 2 pounds) and do wrist curls. Those are a few, if I think of more, I'll let you know.

Thank so so much! I'll try them sometime and see if they help

I'd definitely go to a doctor. For over a year I thought my wrist pains just kinda went along with tumbling, and then the doctors told me they won't stop hurting until I have surgery, turns out it's some problem that will 'cause me HUGE issues in the future if they don't get operated on. Nothing stops the pain for me really

That's scary... Yeah, I'll go get it checked out. I don't want to have any issues in the future

My coach told me that the reason my wrists were hurting was because of the way my hands were placed when tumbling. when I stopped turning my hands out a certain way the pain minimized. That might be your problem also. I also got wrist guards which helped

That's scary... Yeah, I'll go get it checked out. I don't want to have any issues in the future

Yeah I'd definitely go to a doctor, I've learned that the hard way with my wrists and my ankle/foot that I think I broke. Better safe than sorry!

Back