All-Star Better Background Checks For Gym Owners?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheerleading coach charged in fatal hit-and-run | News - Home
How can the gym be USASF certified with these kind of coaches? And on a second note, why are parents allowing there kids to go to this gym?
Because the usasf doesn't dictate how a gym is operated or who is employed and as previously said only prior convictions show up on a background check.

**Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to so I feel smart answering them**

I'm concerned about the mother who said she would still let this man drive her daughter places....I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the car with someone who drinks and drives, especially one who committed a fatal hit and run! Let alone allow a child of mine to be driven by him!

I think unless we are in that community it is hard for us to judge. I am in NO WAY excusing any of it. If my kid was there we would be gone. I do find it interesting that the picture of the individual in the story is not listed on the employee page of this gym which is a new gym per its website. I guess I am also curious about the OP as they are listed as a cheer coach from Florida and this gym is also in Florida? I would like to know full disclosure @PE_Cheer has your team competed against this gym or do you know individuals there - not assuming anything but since you are also marked as a Coach and a Florida gym just wanting to understand your motives as well???

Because USASF not certifying gyms. Gyms pay a membership fee.

Professional members have had a background check, and a list is available on the USASF website. However, as other posters mentioned, there has to be something on their record when it's ran.

I think unless we are in that community it is hard for us to judge. I am in NO WAY excusing any of it. If my kid was there we would be gone. I do find it interesting that the picture of the individual in the story is not listed on the employee page of this gym which is a new gym per its website. I guess I am also curious about the OP as they are listed as a cheer coach from Florida and this gym is also in Florida? I would like to know full disclosure @PE_Cheer has your team competed against this gym or do you know individuals there - not assuming anything but since you are also marked as a Coach and a Florida gym just wanting to understand your motives as well???
I live over 2 hours away from this gym and saw this article through shares on Facebook. I have not competed against them and the only time I have seen them was at State in Daytona and my SR. 3 went after their Coed 3.
I didn't realize that even though he was charged, it doesn't show up on his record which lead to my question as to how he was USASF certified. When you look on the gym website he is listed as the owner under meet the staff?
This is not a gym bashing, I was just shocked to see that the staff could be such a mess and the gym be open. I wish them the best of luck as I'm sure this is a difficult time for some of the kids.

I live over 2 hours away from this gym and saw this article through shares on Facebook. I have not competed against them and the only time I have seen them was at State in Daytona and my SR. 3 went after their Coed 3.
I didn't realize that even though he was charged, it doesn't show up on his record which lead to my question as to how he was USASF certified. When you look on the gym website he is listed as the owner under meet the staff?
This is not a gym bashing, I was just shocked to see that the staff could be such a mess and the gym be open. I wish them the best of luck as I'm sure this is a difficult time for some of the kids.

Perhaps we need to introduce you to CTR in Arkansas or ICE All-Stars. You're gonna find rotten apples here and there everywhere, like you will with anything else. A little girl who got abducted and killed about an hour from us in Missouri was abducted by someone who worked within the school system.

I honestly think it's up to the parents to do a quick google search or two to see if any red flags pop up about the coaches they leave their children with. I also agree with @Mom2Cheergirls that this would likely have me jumping ship, but this type of offense isn't going to show up on a screening.

And if you go into the archives there is a large locked DUI related thread that sums up how people feel about it around here.

I will say if this was my CP's gym she would finish out the rest of the season but I would be staying for everything. And she would be changing gyms at the end of the season.

In this country we are innocent until proven guilty. It was 2 years ago and never convicted of anything. It was only brought up because Russell left another local gym and went to work for him that the angry gym owner called the news in the first place. The details in this story are not correct or complete. He worked for a large Jacksonville. All Star gym at the time of the incident where my kids cheer.

In this country we are innocent until proven guilty. It was 2 years ago and never convicted of anything. It was only brought up because Russell left another local gym and went to work for him that the angry gym owner called the news in the first place. The details in this story are not correct or complete. He worked for a large Jacksonville. All Star gym at the time of the incident where my kids cheer.

Was he actually ruled innocent or not guilty? Those are two entirely different things.

If it's true that a gym owner called this in well, that is just tacky.

She is tacky. I mostly feel sorry for the children at him gym because now they are going through harassment and bullying both on social media and at their schools

Backgrounds checks are probably better than nothing, but they are not the end-all-be-all magic bullet that automatically weeds out all of the bad seeds.

IMO, there are significant structural changes that need to happen at the USASF before we let them essentially shut down private businesses and end careers.

Last edited:
Back