Bhs Problems ? Mental Block ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 19, 2012
Okay, so I'm a high school cheerleader and I got my back handspring down. The problem is that I can do it perfectly with a spotter, and perfectly around a few people w/o a spotter. But when I get around my full team, I freak out and it takes me awhile to actually do it on command . I stand there for a while, and then do it. I hate the fact that I do this, I get nervous and I want to get over it. Any Suggestions?

more info: Senior - Varsity - Flyer - Been cheering for 3 years .

This is what my coach tells us: Look at the shirt you're wearing right now. You own that shirt, right? You can wear it whenever and wherever you want to. When you do your back handspring, you own that skill. Write "back handspring" down on a piece of paper at home, fold it up, and put it in your cheer shoe. When you're at a game or a competition and you want to do your handspring, think about how you own it. It could just give you the confidence you need. :] Make sure you have it solid by doing it at least three times without a spotter before you write it down.

This is what my coach tells us: Look at the shirt you're wearing right now. You own that shirt, right? You can wear it whenever and wherever you want to. When you do your back handspring, you own that skill. Write "back handspring" down on a piece of paper at home, fold it up, and put it in your cheer shoe. When you're at a game or a competition and you want to do your handspring, think about how you own it. It could just give you the confidence you need. :] Make sure you have it solid by doing it at least three times without a spotter before you write it down.

I am going to use this with my CP (daughter) when she blocks on her tuck! Great suggestion!

thank you :)

Back