Bridge/handstand! Help!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2012
I'm trying to go for a level 5 team next year. I can do everything fairly well but tumble. The only tumbling thing I can do is a forward roll.. I can do a cartwheel but I can't keep my legs straight (I guess not really a cartwheel). How will I be able to take on small tumbling things like front & back walkovers/front & back handsprings? I can't do a handstand without falling. I can't keep my legs straight. I can't do a bridge either. Sounds silly, i know. I can lift almost my whole body up by my legs, but I can't lift my head & shoulders up with my arm strength. I thought I had ok arm strength, but I guess not. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do a bridge & handstand (preferably bridge). For the bridge, please tell me how to life yourself up with your upper body, please don't say lift weights! How can I do this fast? I want to take tumbling lessons on Tuesday and I'm afraid the tumbling coach won't be able to teach me anything because I don't have a bridge or a handstand. THANKS! <3

ALSO, Do i need my handstand and bridge to complete walkovers and handsprings?
One more question - Do you think I could tell him tumbling coach to teach me my full, tuck & layout before all of the walkovers & handsprings or is that not possible?

ALSO, Do i need my handstand and bridge to complete walkovers and handsprings?
One more question - Do you think I could tell him tumbling coach to teach me my full, tuck & layout before all of the walkovers & handsprings or is that not possible?
Do handstand pushups against a wall. I have to do them because i can't tumble as well. When my team is stretching my coach has me take a mat and go to the wall and do as many sets of 5 as i can. with breaks after every 5. Yes you need a handstand for a walkover and handspring because at one point your hands are the only thing on the ground.
No, you can't learn a full, tuck, and layout. You need the basic skills to even deserve to learn the most difficult skills. as well as the fact to start a pass you do a cartwheel or roundoff, and they are used a lot in routines. same as walkovers.

You will need a lot of time and privates or tumbling classes to even get a handspring. be patient and dont rush things, it will mess you up

You'll probably need a few years before it's time to think about a level 5 team. I've been tumbling for about 11 years and JUST got my full. I'm not telling you it's impossible, because it's not! (I take FOREVER to learn tumbling skills) But you have to be realistic.

Skipping the basics like back bends, handstands and cartwheels seems like the easy way out, but in reality, it will only make your back handsprings, roundoffs, tucks and anything more advanced, (let's be blunt) really ugly and really difficult and really dangerous.

I can say this from personal experience. I never learned how to do walkovers, and I can barely do a backbend right now due to shoulder and back flexibility. This holds me back from my team because it really screws up my technique in my tumbling, especially standing. It's really upsetting to barely have level 4 standing tumbling when your entire team is doing standing hand hand fulls and double fulls. This is why I tell you to PLEASE practice your basics because I don't want you to be "that girl" who stands in the back like me while everyone tumbles. Make them perfect before you move on to anything else.

Don't be afraid to go to a beginner's tumbling class. A coach is the perfect person to show you drills, give you tips, and spot you on any skills that you need to work on.

Also, just keep practicing! Without practice, it's impossible to get better! It's like math class. If you don't understand what's being taught, do you expect to magically know everything on the test once it's handed to you? No, you have to ask your teacher questions, look at examples, and do your homework. Lastly, you have to BELIEVE in yourself! If you can dream it, you can do it!

To conclude this novel, my suggestion is to work on these things at home too. For back bends, it's entirely possible that your shoulders aren't flexible enough to push your upper body off the floor (like me!) To check, put your arms straight up and see how far you can reach behind your ears. If it's not much, then here's what I do. Sit on your knees facing your bed and put your forearms (hands face down) on it directly in front of you. Then put your head in between your arms and relax, letting your head hang there. You should feel your shoulders start to stretch! Do it every day for only 5 minutes a day and you will see a huge difference! Otherwise, a coach can give you wonderful tips and drills to practice at the gym and at home for these skills. Good luck!! :)

The number one thing you should be working on is shoulder flex. That is probably a large part of the problem with your bridge. You should definitely take privates, there is ALWAYS something the instructor can work with you on. They will likely start on back bend kickovers.
For some exercise you can do at home check out fortheloveoftumbling.com Some of those drill have really helped me

Skipping the basics like back bends, handstands and cartwheels seems like the easy way out, but in reality, it will only make your back handsprings, roundoffs, tucks and anything more advanced, (let's be blunt) really ugly and really difficult and really dangerous.

I can say this from personal experience. I never learned how to do walkovers, and I can barely do a backbend right now due to shoulder and back flexibility. This holds me back from my team because it really screws up my technique in my tumbling, especially standing. It's really upsetting to barely have level 4 standing tumbling when your entire team is doing standing hand hand fulls and double fulls. This is why I tell you to PLEASE practice your basics because I don't want you to be "that girl" who stands in the back like me while everyone tumbles. Make them perfect before you move on to anything else.
THIS!!! When I started cheering I was on a level 2 team so I never learned how to do a bridge kick over. My back handsprings are super super janky because of this. It's one of my biggest regrets. Taking time to learn the basics will pay off so much later

A tumbling coach will teach you the basics (handstand, bridge, etc.) if you ASK THEM for help. Don't skip out on these because they will really help you in the future. Look up how-to vids on youtube for whatever you want to see how to do. Try to work out every day and eat healthy foods to speed up your rate of getting skills. Sleep is also very important, it gives your muscles time to recover. Do push-ups, tricep dips and other arm workouts to help handstands and bridges. Again, do NOT skip out on these basic skills before moving up to the more advanced ones.

Back