All-Star Building Facials And Performance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 24, 2014
Does anyone have a tips/drills to get younger, shy girls to really perform? The majority of my team tends go through routines with just a small smile and it’s like pulling teeth to really get them to give us “more”. Skills are looking great in the off season but I would love to add a little bit more sass/attitude! Any advice on breaking them out of their shells?

Majority of the athletes in question are 10-11 years old with 1-2 years competitive experience.

Make a game out of it. Stickers are wonderfully cheap, and highly motivational. I am always amazed at how hard my high school girls will battle for them at practice. Start giving a sticker to everyone who sells a smile during the routine. In order to get one, they HAVE to put on performance faces that are strong enough for coaches to notice a difference (that’ll be a big deal in the grand scheme of you seeing them every day). Once you give out one or two, you’ll see a change to where they’re all after one. Then you change up the rules and say it’s gotta be whole routine and BIG TIME.

Make a game out of it. Stickers are wonderfully cheap, and highly motivational. I am always amazed at how hard my high school girls will battle for them at practice. Start giving a sticker to everyone who sells a smile during the routine. In order to get one, they HAVE to put on performance faces that are strong enough for coaches to notice a difference (that’ll be a big deal in the grand scheme of you seeing them every day). Once you give out one or two, you’ll see a change to where they’re all after one. Then you change up the rules and say it’s gotta be whole routine and BIG TIME.

Thanks! I’ve been considering starting a “prize box” for a while. I’ll definitely give stickers and little giveaways a shot.

Totally a parent here, but I remember my daughters first comp. she looked terrified! Another mom and I bribed our girls with chocolate for bigger smiles on day 2 lol. Totally worked! She always has great facials now, and actually, her very first year in hip hop at a brand new dance school and she was placed front and center and asked to try out for team and I’m convinced it was more due to her stage presence than her dance skills.

Back