Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is this okay coaching?!

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 15, 2016
At 13, I'm currently nearing the end of my second season at Cheer Factor All Stars, and this season I've had a coach who's done nothing but make me feel terrible.
I'm on the J1 team Dream in the Taunton location, and was last year when we placed 2nd at Summit. But, this year it's a totally different story. We have a new coach and no bid to be seen.
It started last April, our coach from last season was visiting his boyfriend who was on an ioc6 team in Chile. And this coach filled in for us, he was miserable the entire time. He made us run 7 fullouts in one practice. Our first one was awful so we did a bunch of burpees, nothing new since that was our coach's favorite punishment. Then on our 3rd fullout one of our first stunts fell and we ran the stairs three times. (The Taunton location has 3 flights of stairs to reach the gym.) After that we were to run back into the gym where we did sit ups, for 15 minutes straight.
So at the team reveal when I found out he was my new coach I was horrified.
Over the summer I got my back walkover and during choreography was placed in the very front of just about everything, except jumps. And it was going well. Then at the end of September I was admitted to the hospital for 13 days for suicidal actions. I got a pass the day before I went home and went to tumbling class. Where I found out that low and behold I lost my walkover to another mental block. And low and behold my coach refused to work on it.
Two weeks later at a class, that he was supposed to be teaching I asked him to spot me. And he yelled at me to "stop being a little girl and just do it myself for once." Over the season he's had team talks where he's targeted my anxiety by telling the team he was so done with people doubting themselves while looking at me the whole time.
Then, he started taking me out of stuff. First, running tumbling, which I partially understood but didn't. Because, the coach wouldn't work with me. Then standing tumbling. Then a motions section before running tumbling and then the pyramid.
That was it for a while until last Monday he moved me out of the front of the opening, replacing me with a girl who is constantly bickering with teammates. Then, I fell ill with the flu over the weekend so I missed yesterday and today's practices where he took out of our first stunts. Leaving me in only our second stunt and dance, less than 30 seconds of the routine. Even though all season I've been to tumbling classes where I've been screamed at about how I'm not trying or how I'm too lazy and too selfish to do a backwalkover. I have a mental block and a coach that will barely ever help me, just tells me to set up a drill and then leaves me on my own. Yet, somehow it's all my fault. I've been degraded at practices since I got out of the hospital, yet somehow my coach tells me it's my fault that we don't have a Summit bid, because apparently I don't try hard enough and that makes the younger girls think it's okay not to tumble. But the younger girls on my team are treated like royalty and spotted whenever they want, even though most of them have tucks.

Do you guys think this is okay?!?!?

1) Why would you post the gym name?

2) Your coach's behavior obviously isn't okay, and it would probably do you well to make this your last season with the gym.

Sorry if this sounds harsh (it's not intended to be) but still.

1) Why would you post the gym name?

2) Your coach's behavior obviously isn't okay, and it would probably do you well to make this your last season with the gym.

I posted the gym name as it all around is a good gym. This coach is my only complaint. Other than that all the other coaches have been wonderful and have tried to help at their best. The owners of all three locations are wonderful as well. I posted the gym name as I reccomend this gym, even if it might be my last season there, not that location.

I posted the gym name as it all around is a good gym. This coach is my only complaint. Other than that all the other coaches have been wonderful and have tried to help at their best. The owners of all three locations are wonderful as well. I posted the gym name as I reccomend this gym, even if it might be my last season there, not that location.
I see where you're coming from, but you have to realize that putting your gym's name into an account of a horrible experience with a coach still puts a bit of a stain on the gym's reputation.

@fieercehunnayy, I am a Mom with a thirteen year old and I can tell you, where is your parents and have you talked to them about this coach? You mean to tell me, not 1 time a parent have not sat in your practices or are all of your practices closed?

Only advice I am willing to give is have your parent (s) speak to the coach and if you are still being treated badly, possibly, the owner (s)... As an outsider and only hearing 1 side of the story, it will be hard to throw a comment either direction, and better yet, participate in any unflattering name calling.

PS: Next time you start a thread, I will advice you to be a little more discreet, particularly on Gym's name and the amount of descriptive personal details...At this point, I probably can spot you from all the 13 year olds in your gym... Btw, regardless of what you think, the things you written about this gym is negative and that coach is a representation of the gym's environment to an outsider reading your post...js

Okay as a mom to a couple of Junior age athletes I am going to give you some big advice. Show this to your parents and ask them what they think of your post. Personally I think you may have had a lot going on this past year from what you have said. I think it is a very bad idea for you to post on here based on your maturity and mental health concerns over the last year. You have provided your gym name and given enough personal information that the gym can completely figure out who you are and this stuff does have consequences. I think you should request the admins to delete this thread for you. Take a step back and discuss these concerns with your parents and have them help you decide if maybe meeting and discussing these things privately in the gym is the best course of action. Personally if my daughter posted this I would make her delete it and I would have a LONG talk to her about proper use of social media and talk about what is going on in the gym. Please go talk to a grown up in your life and get off fierce board for your own good.

Back