All-Star MCL surgical repair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 29, 2023
Hello fellow All stars..I am a 26 yr old woman that competes at level 7, and I cheered for ten years. Six out of the ten I consistently tore my MCL…I finally got surgery for it and the surgeon said he was able to repair it without needing to take a graft..now my question is.. Has anyone gone through a MCL repair surgery and was able to compete at the same level or close to? Have you re-injured it since? How long was recovery time? I’m not ready to quit and I’m scared if I try again, I’ll tear it.

Your surgeon or PT will tell you if you can safely return to AS. MCL repairs vary by patient so, you will hear anything from 6 weeks-6 months+ and some surgeons recommending a different sport. It will ultimately depend on your stability, mobility, and strength. If you don't already have a good PT, ask athletes/coaches at your gym if they know of a good PT who is familiar with higher level AS.

Hello fellow All stars..I am a 26 yr old woman that competes at level 7, and I cheered for ten years. Six out of the ten I consistently tore my MCL…I finally got surgery for it and the surgeon said he was able to repair it without needing to take a graft..now my question is.. Has anyone gone through a MCL repair surgery and was able to compete at the same level or close to? Have you re-injured it since? How long was recovery time? I’m not ready to quit and I’m scared if I try again, I’ll tear it.
My daughter had 2 surgeries back to back, MCL and ACL….did therapy and waited 2 xtra months after getting cleared, 6 months after last surgery, before doing twisting tumbling. Continued with cheer for many years after that with no issues.

My daughter had 2 surgeries back to back, MCL and ACL….did therapy and waited 2 xtra months after getting cleared, 6 months after last surgery, before doing twisting tumbling. Continued with cheer for many years after that with no issues.
I would second this, your best bet is to ensure you are truly and fully healed before going back. Of course, the only way to know that is to be in communication with your doctors/surgeons/physical therapists on what their professional opinions are.

However, I will add though - as an older athlete (it’s funny how 26 in cheer is “older”), it’s really important that you’re listening to your body. Like gymnastics, cheer is one of those sports that really tears up your body over time. It’s just an intense sport that’s constantly putting a lot of pressure on your body. Trust me, I completely understand that feeling of not being ready to be done. It’s hard to let go of something you love that’s meant so much to you. But considering this isn’t your first major injury, I would consider asking yourself how important is it to you to preserve your body for the future. We only get one body after all, and while 26 is older in cheer years, it’s so young in the scheme of life.

I don’t want to tell you what to do, you’re an adult who can make your own choices, but it’s worth thinking about how continually pushing your body after so many injuries could impact your future comfort and health. If you go back to cheering, I wish you well and hope for no more injuries!

Back