All-Star Camp Woodward 2012

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hey guys. So, I MIGHT go to Camp Woodward West (In California). It has an option as "Cheer Stunting" Or "Cheer Tumbling"... Which is better? SOOOO lost. Why don't they have two in one....

My CP is going week 8. This will be her first time at Woodward PA. She is 12 and currently has a mental block with backhandsprings so Im hoping this will help if she is still dealing with it by summer time..

My cp is 8 and will be 9 in May. She wants to do 2 weeks and is hoping to get her fulls at woodward. It sounds like and AWESOME camp and a great place to get some really advanced skills in a no pressure setting. We are probably going to send her weeks 2 & 3. We are in Texas and school is out the end of May. I want to send her early in the summer so she has the rest of the summer to practice her skills with her team. (she should be on a Y4 next season) tryouts are sunday. (wish tryouts were after woodward!) :p

My only question is, how do you guys afford a week, or more? Woodward would be beyond a dream for me and I know they do a week for those of us over 18, but I can rationalize spending that much for one week! Does anyone else pay for themselves to go and have any ideas?

I find out if I get to go sometime within the next 2 weeks! I AM SO EXCITED.
I sent my scholarship application in last month, so its about time I think to hear back.
I jsut turned 17, so this is my last chance, and my family cant afford it all on our own. I REALLY hope I get to go. ITs been one of my dreams, right up there with worlds, since I was 11. :/
wish me luck!

my cp is 8 and some of her older friends are going, including my cousin's cp. for those that have gone before or had their kids go, how did your cp do being so young? my cp is pretty mature for her age, but she is an only child. i am just not sure if she's "ready" to be away for a week. we only live a couple of hours from woodward so it's not that far from us.

idk, maybe i'm the one that's not ready????

Woodward is so crazy expensive. I would love for my daughter to get the experience to go, but I just can't justify the cost. I mean if I knew she was going to come out of there with a punch front through to full (she's 11 and lv 4) I could maybe justify it in my head.

Who's gone? Is it really a place you're going to pick up new skills? I don't know much about it other than what I read in their brochures and such. Is it worth all the money? We don't live local, we're in NC.

Woodward is so crazy expensive. I would love for my daughter to get the experience to go, but I just can't justify the cost. I mean if I knew she was going to come out of there with a punch front through to full (she's 11 and lv 4) I could maybe justify it in my head.

Who's gone? Is it really a place you're going to pick up new skills? I don't know much about it other than what I read in their brochures and such. Is it worth all the money? We don't live local, we're in NC.

that's what i am wondering too. my cp loves cheer but if she has an option to go swimming for an hour or go to the gym she will go swimming. and i don't want to pay close to a thousand dollars for her to swim the majority of the time if you know what i mean. i can send her to a week long day camp at a gym close to us for a lot less money ;)

My then 14 year old cp went last summer - her first experience with a summer camp - and I went as a driver. Being there myself was great so I could see what it was all about. Fabulous facility as is obvious from brochures etc. Skills improvement ... probably has more to do with how ready your cp is ready to progress, how quickly things come to them, how serious they are, how much or little they are distracted by the rest of camp. My cp mostly only went to the required gym times (a couple/few hours, I forget exact time) and did not go to the optional sessions. Since I was there I encouraged her to go to the gym more and she said she was tired and hot and didn't want to get injured. Hard to argue with that. The worst would be sending your cp and having them get a cast on their hand the first day (it happens).

Based solely on my cp's experience I would encourage anyone who is going to send their cp but is thinking of waiting for later years ... do it while they are still young - like pre-interested in the opposite sex. Cheerleaders, gymnasts, skateboarders, bmx-ers. There's a whole lot of interest in seeing and being seen by the other gender. Woodward did a great job of keeping the boys and girls from getting too close, but they can socialize in public and they do a lot of that. Actually, there isn't a lot of that for the first few days ... because the boys are too busy skating and riding on the most fantastic facility they have ever experienced. After a couple of days they finally pick their heads up and notice the girls who are hanging out hoping to be noticed!

My cp is going back again this year for 2 weeks (without me, once was enough for me!). I have told her that during her first week I expect her to be one of the cheerleaders who is recognized as being an especially hard worker and be "invited" back for a week later in the summer. You still pay when you're invited back and it's after my cp's school starts up ... so I'm not looking for her to go back instead just saying I expect her to be an especially hard worker. She wasn't one of those recognized last year.

As far as the rest of camp goes for my (now 15 year old) cp, I see it as a fun and safe way to get some experience meeting new people and making decisions on herr own how she is going to prioritize her time when there is both work and socializing to be accomplished. It very much reminded me of showing up on a college campus and dorm room as a freshman. I'm glad my cp will have that experience before she actually has to do it in college. (Just my impressions as the parent of a teenager ... I'm sure parents of younger kids would have very different impressions.)

The last comment I have is, as is often true, it seemed to me that it would be very helpful if your cp was willing to speak up. I met one mom of a young gymnast who said she was very sad to learn halfway through the week that her daughter didn't understand what the optional gym time was so she didn't go. Asking questions and stating what you are interested in can be really helpful!

I live in Cary, and just got a sholarship. They do help pay if you need it if you apply! :D its been my dream to go since I was your daughters age, and Im 17 now. This is my last year that I am eligible and its the year before college, so I am INSANELY excited. Like... to no end. I am so happy I get to go. <3

my cp is 8 and some of her older friends are going, including my cousin's cp. for those that have gone before or had their kids go, how did your cp do being so young? my cp is pretty mature for her age, but she is an only child. i am just not sure if she's "ready" to be away for a week. we only live a couple of hours from woodward so it's not that far from us.

idk, maybe i'm the one that's not ready????
You aren't the only one stressing! My CP is 7 and we are strongly considering sending her in August. I have mild anxiety just thinking about her being away for the week too, but we are only a few hours away, and she will most likely be going with a friend. She is super excited already, and will probably handle the separation much better than I will! I've heard they are great with their younger campers, it should be an amazing experience.

Back