Camp Woodward For New All-star Athletes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

RaRaMama

Cheer Parent
Jan 20, 2011
Any suggestions on this? My daughter is currently on a Level 3 team, but tumbles at a Level 1. Is this camp worth it for the beginner level athlete in regards to tumbling? Her tumbling/jumps are what need the most work.

I have never been but I heard it was great for any level....I think I am going to go this year. Just make sure your daugther keeps up with her tumbling because it is very frustrating as a level 4 cheerleader on a level 4 squad with level 4 tumbling, when others still only have level one tumbling. Also being able to contribute your tumbling to the routine makes you feel really good when your out there and your one of the main tumblers and get to show off your stuff instead of squatting in the back.... its a great feeling!! I am thinking about going, I heard it was well worth your money

Our gym takes all of our cheerleaders ( except the itty bitty's ) to Camp Woodward West every summer, that is where we do our summer camps/training. We spend four days there, take along chaperones,all the PCM staff, lots of goodies and have plenty of fun. The teams really get alot of great training done in that facility, it is amazing and the staff there are really friendly and talented. I would recommend it to anyone thinking of going as a gym, team or individual. Definitely well worth the money.....

Thanks for the info-the all-star gym we go to is small but very family oriented, which we love. They don't offer a level 1 Youth or Junior team (because there aren't enough girls to form teams for that level) so there are all different levels of tumbling on her level 3 team. The good news is she really wants to do it...I think seeing the other girls tumbling and being in the spotlight makes her want it more. We're getting ready to start private lessons with her and see how that goes.

yes I come from a very small small gym and town and we only have a youth level 1 and a sr. level 4 coed(so if your young you go on level 1 if your older you go on level 4 no matter what skill level)I would deff. say that seeing other girls in the gym when I was younger tumble better than me only made me the tumbler that I am today. Now I am one of the main tumblers and throw the most passes.

I think woodward would be great for her I was put on a level 3 team this season but only had level 2 skills but was told I needed to get my level 3 skills. After only a week of woodward I came back to my gym with everything required for level 3 (standing double back handspring, front punch, round off tuck, round off handspring tuck) I got a lot accomplished there & can't wait to go back this year!:)

this is going to be my fourth year going to woodward, and i love it! the coaches there are so great, and willing to work with anyone, i have gotten most of my tumbling from that camp. plus, most of the coaches and cheerleaders are on a college or all star team, and can tumble themselves, so they can use their experience to help. so, i say yes, it is so worth it.!

I'm a coach from a small gym as well. I've been looking into Woodward West and have heard nothing but good things. L00ks like an awesome place to learn great new skills. Now if I could only recruit more girls from my area to join our gym. Good Luck to your daughter and her tumbling!

So glad I stumbled onto this thread! I was thinking of sending my younger daughter, but wasn't sure as she's not a great tumbler. She'll definitely be a decent Level 2 by then, but I was worried they were more for elite tumblers. After reading this I'm a lot less worried! So I think I'm going to sign her up!

i have a similar problem, last year i was put on a senior 2 team as my first time cheering, but i dropped out because i decided i wanted to go to boarding school. this year i've decided to get back into it, and i really want to go to woodward; but i'm REALLY a beginner, like, no skills at all.
frown.png

i'll be working hard until summer, but i don't think i'll be close to senior 2 skills by then. so are there any true beginners there, my age? (15) and will i be able to get what the more advanced girls get out of it?

jessieshaun, I'm pretty sure my daughter is in the same place you are.....she can do a backbend, but not a walkover yet. From what I can tell, Woodward works with you wherever you are....including little to no skills :) best of luck!

My child has not gone, but a number of ladies from her team have and one of our old coaches coached there.

I think that camps like this are well worth it to focus your skill progression with a combination of great staff and great facility, regardless of the level you are at. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to send her, but if I could I would in a hearbeat.

Back