Camp Woodward Pa

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 7, 2013
This is my first post, so please be kind :)

I recently came across the website for Camp Woodward, and was hoping some of you in the cheer community would have some answers/insight into the program.

My CP is going to be 9 for the 2013 summer programs. Have any of you sent a 9 year old to the cheer camp? I am a little bit concerned that she is too young to be there on her own without parental supervision. I know that they have Mini-Mom's in charge of a group of campers...but that's not real mom :) I see there is a swimming pool, go-karts, etc. Who makes sure she is safe in the pool if she isn't a great swimmer, or doesn't just run over there without an adult? Is there someone with her at ALL times? Do parents get to watch the kids during camp or ever see their progress? What do most of the parents do while the children are at camp?

If any of you have sent your younger children to this camp, I would really appreciate some input. I live in Indiana and can't make a trip over there just to visit it first. Thank you!

My daughter attended in 2011 at age 9. Her cabin mom was rarely with her, except at lights out and in the morning before breakfast. During the day, it was her responsibility to show up for tumbling classes, recreational activities, meals, etc. She was able to decide to go swimming and went to the pool on her own - - they have a lifeguard during pool hours. Parents do not stay at the camp. Some who live far from the camp stay in the area for the week. I did not. We drove 3.5 hours to camp to drop her off and she took the bus home.

Thankfully, she went during a week when most of our gym was there, and our gym owner is a director there, so she had a slice of home with her and didn't feel completely on her own. I got her a cell phone so that she could call me whenever she wanted...that worked out nicely. Most of her clothing and accessories made it home. She wasn't really homesick. I missed her more than she missed me, I think!

She went back for a second year this past summer and the experience was much better for her having been there previously. She knew where to go and when...and again, went with most of her teammates. She loves it and wants to go back for 2 weeks this year....I'm just not sure I'm ready for that!!

I sent my 9 year old for the first time this past summer to their CA location and had all your same feelings! I did have to realize that she is very capable and when faced with it they will handle themselves well.

My suggestion would be to make sure she has a buddy she is going with. My CP went by herself. It was a bit of a struggle bc it was the first time she had been away from home that long. She got a little homesick, but was able to call. I would def send her with a phone to call you. They suggest no phones, but others had phones so she was able to use a friends.

The good news is that she is ready to go again this year and we hope she will get more out of it bc she will have the jitters all out!!

Gook luck!

I sent my daughter around that age. She went with another friend and they had a good time. She did the overnight horseback ride & camp in the woods. We drove about 8 hours and dropped her off and then her friends mom picked them up. You can not stay at the camp but we went early on Friday before the last day to see what was going on and they were fine with that. I will say for the money I wasn't super impressed. She didn't come back with any crazy skills and it ended up being about $1,500 when it was all said and done. She told me they work her harder at our gym. I didn't find out until we arrived that boys are everywhere because its also a skate park. My daughter was thrilled with that because it was right in front of their cabin. Cute little skater boys running around all day...I'm glad she was just 10 because I would really be concerned now. lol!!

My granddaughter who is 13 years old went last summer. She had two team mates go the same week - a 9 year old and a 12 year old. Also, 2 of our coaches went that week. We were concerned since she would be in a separate cabin from the 12 and 13 year old because of the age cutoff, and the skill level of tumbling was different for all three so they would have different "sections" during gym time. The 9 year old did fine. The older girls did other things with her during free time (horseback riding, swimming, crafts, etc).

As far as gaining new skills, etc. it really depends on the camper. My granddaughter went for the whole camp experience. She did attend the mandatory cheer session in the morning, and most of the open gym also. But at 13 years old, she did spend some time watching the skateboarders and BMX bikers, swimming, horsebackriding and hanging around the canteen. She did get "tapped" to return later that same year.

The 12 year old spent most of the time in the cheer gym working on skills as did the 9 year old. Unfortunately, she broke her arm while there (last day of camp).

I think the 9 year old (now 10) will be returning again as will my granddaughter who is aiming for 2 weeks ($ ouch $):help:

Cp has gone for the past 4 summers. She has gone for one week some summers and two weeks others. She will be going back again this summer. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Does anyone know anything about the Lake Tahoe Woodward? The Pennsylvania one is SO expensive to get there, it would cost $1200 for travel and only $1000 for the camp! So my mom wants me to look at the Lake Tahoe one, which is much cheaper. Has anyone been? I only ever hear about the Pennsylvania one.

My daughter has gone to Woodward (PA) for three separate years starting at age 10. She LOVES Woodward and would stay all summer if I let her. Previous to going to Woodward she had attended a regular sleepaway camp. My experience with Woodward (based on what I saw and also on what my daughter told me) is that there is not alot of supervision. The kids are on their own a lot and it is easy for them to sneak out of their cabins at night. I know the older girls are very interested in the boys and find ways to hang out with them. My daughter told me that one of the girls in her cabin got in trouble for "hooking up" with a boy. My daughter was only 11 so I am not sure what she meant by "hooking up".

The first year my daughter was there, her cabin counselor was very young and she was never around. The second year my daughter was fortunate to get in a cabin with a cabin mom and the third year she planned to be in a cabin with the cabin mom.

You may ask why I sent my daughter back. I ask my self the same thing sometime! My daughter went with several friends (older) who I trusted and I also knew that she would be with the cabin mom.

I'm not sure if I'll be sending her this year. Bottom line: Woodward is alot of fun. There is alot of instruction time and tumbling practice, but in general there is little supervision at the camp. I had to pick up my daughter early. I drove right onto the camp and up to my daughters cabin. I grabbed her stuff, found her and left. No one even questioned me taking her or knew that she was gone! If you Google Camp Woodward you will see several reviews talking about the lack of supervision.

For people that have sent there kids to Woodward, did they gain tumbling or flying skills while they were there?

For people that have sent there kids to Woodward, did they gain tumbling or flying skills while they were there?
Tumbling skills. I think if they are going as an individuals I don't think they work on stunting that much. It might be different if you go as a team.

Tumbling skills. I think if they are going as an individuals I don't think they work on stunting that much. It might be different if you go as a team.
Wow! Thats expensive to not work on stunting, I thought they did stunting. My daughter pics up pretty quickly to tumbling so I think she would probably leave with more skills (especially if thats what they concentrate on)

Wow! Thats expensive to not work on stunting, I thought they did stunting. My daughter pics up pretty quickly to tumbling so I think she would probably leave with more skills (especially if thats what they concentrate on)
Unless they go with stunt groups, they only work on tumbling.

This is my first post, so please be kind :)

I recently came across the website for Camp Woodward, and was hoping some of you in the cheer community would have some answers/insight into the program.

My CP is going to be 9 for the 2013 summer programs. Have any of you sent a 9 year old to the cheer camp? I am a little bit concerned that she is too young to be there on her own without parental supervision. I know that they have Mini-Mom's in charge of a group of campers...but that's not real mom :) I see there is a swimming pool, go-karts, etc. Who makes sure she is safe in the pool if she isn't a great swimmer, or doesn't just run over there without an adult? Is there someone with her at ALL times? Do parents get to watch the kids during camp or ever see their progress? What do most of the parents do while the children are at camp?

If any of you have sent your younger children to this camp, I would really appreciate some input. I live in Indiana and can't make a trip over there just to visit it first. Thank you!

I would look at your daughter to help you make this decision. How self reliant is she and how good at making choices that you feel are the right ones? I am a Girl Scout leader and I have girls this age that get up can pull out their clothes for the day, clean up their stuff in the cabin, brush teeth, shower , comb hair after shower -without a word (it is clear this is their routine) then I have ones that still need to be remind of those things or somehow have managed to loose every pair of socks even though I walk in and their clothes are bagged for each day and their socks have fallen under but they are used to going to mom for help... some have never had to do the things for themselves without support. How good is she at making sound decisions on her own? How does she handle minor injuries (some kids are needier than others wether it be to needing the attention or pain tolerance)? We have had friends who have been and love it and others who said yeah it was neat but not for them.

Back