Can Not Get A Refund

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Okay I am going off my FAVORITE conspiracy theory: the board teenager. Said board teenager likes to get the cheer parents in an uproar and knows our triggers well. Such as 3 YO BHS (lord knows how long that one will go) and now this one :). I actually prefer the thought of some CPs getting together and lets watch the grown ups go nuts and start a thread with a newbie. FAR better than the possible of the reality that there are simply people this dumb out there procreating.
Let's fix one thing the bored Board teenager (spelling has never been my forte)

I remember a case a long time ago on Judge Judy , the parents wanted their money back for tuition and clothes frm a cheer gym. They had paid upfront and left the gym. They won and got a full refund because they had not received any thing from the gym and she said you cant keep money for services not given. So keep pushing them. Just because its cheer no one can make their own laws.

AND the contract was invalid because both parties didnt sign it and the gym didnt give the family a copy of the signed contract.

My understanding from dealing with this in the past is that yes, for uniforms and tumbling and tuition and such, the money cannot be kept by the gym. But comp fees are different. It's like if you register for a marathon and then don't run in it - you still don't get a refund. I don't remember the exact wording of why it was different, but it was. So if she paid for a uniform and didn't stay, she would get that money back. But not comp fees.

My understanding from dealing with this in the past is that yes, for uniforms and tumbling and tuition and such, the money cannot be kept by the gym. But comp fees are different. It's like if you register for a marathon and then don't run in it - you still don't get a refund. I don't remember the exact wording of why it was different, but it was. So if she paid for a uniform and didn't stay, she would get that money back. But not comp fees.

If I were WC after her being on here I would give her the uniform and not the money if the fee was for uniform. I am sorry but if you are not smart enough to read what you sign up for at try outs then that becomes your problem. This person is not giving us details and is claiming the WC is hurting her child...none of us know what has or hasn't occurred... Natural consequences - you sign up for something they say in writing you give us x dollars and if you leave you don't get it back and then you leave well then you don't get it back. If you don't like the policy don't go there - this person is claiming she signed nothing and made it sound like she had been there for a while so something does not add up with her story. DRAMA MAMA.

From what I remember they got a full refund for everything for the whole year. I guess if the gym has spent the $ on whatever their travel fees include and is not going to collect it from a replacement and its in the contract it would be diff. But she said others have received refunds. The gym is a 3rd party when it comes to comp fees. I know my gym, would've given a refund on any monies not used. My cp's high school tried to do that to us but I found they hadn't yet registered or paid for comps.

But without all the details who knows......

What is the Financial Commitment form mentioned in the tryout packet? Wondering if that contains a more detailed refund policy.

What is the Financial Commitment form mentioned in the tryout packet? Wondering if that contains a more detailed refund policy.

Every gym is different but in my gym (I run the cheer program) we break down all monies spent in the contract that is: given, signed by both parties, and copied for all during tryouts....

If a CP gets injured and the money has not already been paid to each competition (which we frequently hold on to until the last couple of days before the deadline) I will return it... Travel expenses such as hotels are usually paid for by the parents... but in the case that I book rooms and buses and everything else, the parent does not get the money (the same holds for a CP who simply wants to quit). My contract goes as far as informing the parents that they are committed to the COMPLETE 6 month contract and should their CP quit I can (and probably will unless they are injured) still charge the gym fee every month for the remainder of the contract....

It sucks but this is just the way the cheer world works. If your CP quits, I do not get paid so of course I am going to hold you accountable for all money you agreed to pay...

Back